96 zj. Where to start.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Yamadogggy

96 zj. Where to start..

So my grandfather passed away a few years ago. Left me his 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's been sitting a few years and something got into me I want to make it a woods/daily. looking for suggestions on rims. I want to go black but don't wanna pay a fortune. I have 2 sets of stock so I don't really care about quality as long as they'll hold up for a year or 2. 2nd looking into a lift kit. Any good suggestions on lifts? Like I said I want to drive it on road just as much as off so I don't wanna go too big. Anything else you guys can think of? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM
Boone96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Cragar D's or Soft 8's are very cheap. 15x8 is a good size with 4 or 3.75 backspacing.

For lift you can go BB pucks or an F&R swap. BB is easiest.

96 5.2 242 3" 32x11.5
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1996-grand-cherokee-laredo-5-2-a-2570290/
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Look for JK take-offs. I got these 5 wheels and tires from a 2016 JK for $500 and they had less than 500 miles on them.
Attached Images

-Tim
96 4.0 Laredo, 42RE, NP242, HP30 & D35c 3.55, OME 2.5" HD Coils, Bilstein 5100s, IRO Adj. LCAs

post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

A 2" BB is about as high as you can go on the cheap, and it's a good place to be.

You can fit JK takeoff's with that and some trimming, which is a pretty good setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Yamadogggy

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'm going to get a 2 inch bb and some steel rims off rough country. I'm probably gonna go to 31s and trim. I almost lost hope for the project because it wouldn't shift into 3rd gear and was dogging up hills. It was the damn kickback cable and here I thought it needed a tranny. This thing runs awesome only 119k miles and it was grandpa driven at 25 mph everyday to work. Only thing I need right now is my right sway bar connect link is broke so it pops Everytime I hit something hard.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-19-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Yamadogggy

Well guys I caved in.. did some wheelin with a buddy and got stuck one too many times lol. And lost my front bumper and turn signal lights. I went ahead and got the IRO 3.5 inch benchmark kit and a rear adj. Sway bar. Do you guys have any other suggestions on stuff to get while I lift it?
post #7 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 AM
kaspre
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Congrats! Now the fun starts!

I started with the basic entry level 3.5" Rough Country kit ($400 at the time), but wasn't completely satisfied with the results. The new geometry from the added height with fixed control arms & stock trackbars made for terrible on-road handling and didn't really offer much in tire options that you can't get with a 2" BB. (currently on 31" Duratracs)

To that kit, I added IRO adjustable front and rear trackbars, IRO adjustable upper and lower control arms front & rear, and a RC steering stabilizer. This provided proper geometry and allowed a full alignment, and on-road handling is great now. But I'd probably still have to do some cutting for 33" or bigger tires, and for some reason the front trackbar mount was striking my driver side spring when it flexed. My local 4x4 shop assured me that the latter problem would be resolved by going to a slightly taller lift.

So next I got some IRO 4.5" springs and some Bilstein shocks. This did solve the problem with the trackbar mount, and my zj handles pretty well now. Along the way, I did add some Addco front and rear swaybars along with JKS quicker disconnects for the front swaybar and extended swaybar links for the rear (all from IRO) to compensate for higher body roll with the 4.5" lift.

Bottom line is that I'm relatively happy with where I ended up, but I've replaced basically every component of the original kit at this point. Instead of spending $400 on the original kit and then upgrading it over time, perhaps I should have just gone ahead and gotten the IRO premium 3.5" (10798) or 4.5" (10538) kit to start. (Definitely with the $100 optional upgrade to include adjustable control arms!) That certainly would have saved me some time and money, but I didn't know enough about suspension lifts at the time to realize it. On the other hand, I've had some fun and learned quite a lot during this process, so perhaps I shouldn't complain!

Of course, now I'm considering an upgrade to 33" or 35" tires, which may result in more changes. And I'd love to add on some aftermarket bumpers and a safari-style roof rack. But I'm trying not to spend a lot more money on this project right now, and the ZJ is pretty capable offroad right now. So hopefully I can leave it alone for a while.

Hope my experience is helpful to you. Best of luck!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Rear adjustable sway bar? You mean track bar?

You really need all adjustables up front to be able to align things correctly at 3.5".

Your money would have been better spent on a lunchbox locker and a BB.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Yamadogggy

Yeah I meant the track bar lol. And the more I take it on trails as is the more I'm just gonna use it as a woods buggy. Not sure if it's gonna pass pa inspection so it's just gonna be a backroad and trail machine for now
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Yamadogggy

Not too concerned about the money either that was just a perdiem check I used to get the lift. I work out of town and eat cheap so it adds up lol
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 08:44 PM
9496ZJs
1996 ZJ 

Congrats on the car and enjoy your grandfather's car.

Where did the car live for its first 19 years?
If your grandfather was in rust country, pay attention to the control arm brackets on the axles and body. These guys can rust out and rip away due to the strain of lifted geometries/big tires, especially if you don't use adjustable CAs. Already had to swap an axle on mine with stock setup. My fab and welding skills are limited, so I did not opt to put on new brackets.

My present nightmare is the rusted-on hub bolts.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Look at lockers next then, that'll be the best thing you can do to keep from getting stuck.

Quote:
post #13 of 13 Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Yamadogggy

Yeah we live in good old rusty pa. But the underneath isn't too bad. The body's not even rusted yet. He took really good care of it oil change and washing it. I doubt he ever got it muddy lol. Has new u joints up front. The only thing I'm kinda worried about is when I was washing it after mudding the intake boot was kinda off of the air box. It wasn't dusty where I was at and there wasn't any mud in the boot. I cleaned all the grit off the throttle body plate but I'm just all worried about it but I changed the oil after and put a new filter on. I think it'll be fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.