96 ZJ Tranny shifting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ Tranny shifting problems

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

96 ZJ Tranny shifting problems

164000 miles

The transmission shifts back and forth between 3rd and 4th a little too often. 4th works fine at highway speeds, and if im doing city driving I have just started to turn the OD off.

is this something that can be adjusted?

is there a way to hack the default to "OD off"?

RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Are you sure it's between 3rd and 4th. Or could it be the torque converter locking and unlocking in 4th? Could be a couple of things. One is the tranny fluid being worn out. The other could be a sensor problem. There is a temp sensor in the tranny that controls the shifting and the Lock/unlock of the TC. At certain temps (really cold) it won't let the TC lock up. If the sensor is going this could cause the problem. Check out Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Shifting Problem
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

I suppose it could be the torque converter locking and unlocking in 4th, it also holds first gear a little long. thanks for the link, I'll start with the fluid change, and might as well swap that sensor while im down there.
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.