96 ZJ remote locking / immobilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ remote locking / immobilizer

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
euroboy
1996 ZJ 

96 ZJ remote locking / immobilizer

Hi folks,

Having some troble with my late 96 ZJ (2nd gen model, euro spec).

About 4 months ago one of the remote locking fobs just stopped working from one day to the next, bugged me but the other one continued to work OK so I carried on using that. (I tried new batteries for the fob at the time, but made no difference)

This morning did a local trip in the Jeep, came home and it wouldnt lock - tried pressing the lock button over and over and eventually it did work, but then of course the darned thing wouldnt unlock again.......

Rushed out and got some new batteries and they made no difference, but then when I tired these new batteries in the older 'broken' remote fob came back to life

Ive been locking / unlocking the car through the day and sometimes it works and sometimes not, far too patchy for my liking and I cant rely on it

So..... where is the sensor in the Jeep for the remote, may be it just needs a clean?

Can you bypass the immobilizer on a 96 genII?

If not is there anyway to stop the immobilizer automatically arming?

My DD is off the road at the moment and I was supposed to be using the ZJ to get me to work and back so this is a mssive PITA

Thanks!

euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It's an rf transmitter, no cleaning to be done like the earlier model with the ir transceiver.

Sounds like the fob's are just past their useful life.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

If your 96 is euro spec then it's a ZG and not ZJ. It sounds like your remotes are due for replacement or the DDM is having issues.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
tcar
2000 WJ 

There could be a partly broken wire betwen the door and the body...

Key fobs do eventually wear out, though.
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
euroboy
1996 ZJ 

OK thanks, will check the door to body connections and also have a go at removing the hood sensor as ive read that also stops the alarm from activating.
euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.