96 ZJ~leaking transmission line - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ~leaking transmission line

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Hogweed
1996 ZJ 

96 ZJ~leaking transmission line

hello all,
i recently replaced the radiator w/ an all metal one. everything was ok until the lower trans cooling line fell off the radiator fitting the other day after about 300 miles of driving over about a ten day period. i guess i didn't have it on all the way and it came loose. i have it back on now but it is leaking. i went to the dealer to see if they had a parts list for that connector thinking i'm missing an o-ring or something. they are not able to pull up a detailed diagram and there are no parts listed short of buying the whole line back to the tranny for $140!!
there seems to be a plastic sleeve that fits into the end of the hose as well as the plastic clip that snaps past the shoulder on the radiator outlet.
does anyone know why it would leak, if i'm missing a part or parts or if there are any less costly fixes for this?
thanks.
gh

Unread 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Hogweed
1996 ZJ 

this board moves too fast! bump
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
chadgtr
1993 ZJ 

Cut off the hose by the crimp and hose clamp it in the elbow that comes out of the radiator. The elbow should have a little shoulder to it that the stupid plastic clip attatches to. This should take care of the leak and it costs about $1.00.
Crager Soft 8's
On Board Air
Chad-made Quick Disco's
chadgtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Hogweed
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgtr
Cut off the hose by the crimp and hose clamp it in the elbow that comes out of the radiator. The elbow should have a little shoulder to it that the stupid plastic clip attatches to. This should take care of the leak and it costs about $1.00.

you are a genius! i'm so focuse on fixing it "right"! your fix will be be better than the idiotic set up thats on there now. thanks!
gh
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, this post is a little old, but anyone care to explain a bit better ?

What kind of connector does it take to fit the piece that comes out of the bottom of the radiator ?

Right now I am using a worm clamp to hold it on, although it isn't doing a good job.

Pics would be great....
_AdriaN_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
indianajeep

2005 WK 

I did the fix and took the pics - check it out-

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-96-zj-746300/
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you ...

Although I have already fixed it. I talked it over with a friend and he helped me out.

Again, thanks a lot in your effort.
_AdriaN_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.