96 ZJ Just stops running. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ Just stops running.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

no, it shouldnt die. you are eliminating it as a cause.

i believe something is shorting out to sensor ground and resetting the pcm.

ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #32
Speedymcracer01

Everytime a sensor shorts out like mine did it causes the pcm the lose power everytime the sensor arches from bad wiring or grounds out its resetting the pcm erasing codes at the same time your vehicle stalls. I tested all my pcm circuits by hand with a curcuit tester before i realized it wasn't a bad pcm. It was faulty sensor wires, check into your sensors a little more check those hard to get to wires in-between your sensors and the pcm
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #33
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
Everytime a sensor shorts out like mine did it causes the pcm the lose power everytime the sensor arches from bad wiring or grounds out its resetting the pcm erasing codes at the same time your vehicle stalls. I tested all my pcm circuits by hand with a curcuit tester before i realized it wasn't a bad pcm. It was faulty sensor wires, check into your sensors a little more check those hard to get to wires in-between your sensors and the pcm
I think you are correct . I would suspect a break between the CPS and PCM
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #34
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

from what you posted below, here 's a scenario that fits. the PCM first detects an open and pops a code. then it shorts out and blows the PCMs mind.

this would be an indication that something is mangled. tip of crank sensor maybe. O2 wires?
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #35
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Replaced both Oxygen sensors with Mopar parts (again, under warranty) and inspected the wiring and found no cut, scoring or exposed wiring. Started the truck and it died immediately, once i got it to stay running I unplugged the cam sensor and it immediately died, when i plugged it back in, i could hear the ASD relay click off. I also noticed that with the cam sensor unplugged, the CEL was on with the key when it wasnt constantly before. Time for a new cam sensor?

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #36
Speedymcracer01

Well it sounds like a very good idea to replace it
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Going dead when you remove the CAM sensor from the circuit does not indicate a bad CAM sensor. A bad CAM sensor would be indicated by the problem going away when you disconnect it, causing default fuel timing to be used by the PCM.

The battery has been disconnected and the PCM is learning its fuel strategies is probably why the engine goes dead when you disconnect it. That's only speculation.

Also could be due do some other problem you haven't found yet, so the cam disconnect was of no help.

When you disconnect sensors, you get codes. Normal operation.
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #38
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWJWifeZJ View Post
I also noticed that with the cam sensor unplugged, the CEL was on with the key when it wasnt constantly before. Time for a new cam sensor?
Do you mean the lamp check at 'key on' was inconsistent before disconnecting the cam sensor? If this is the case, yes, the cam sensor may be culprit.
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Sorry for the delay in responding to this but it did turn out to be the Cam sensor. Replaced it with an aftermarket in a reman distributor to get the Jeep going and it runs and doesnt die often but once its' warmed up it loses power like its not getting fuel when I accelerate up a hill or if I go WOT. I picked up a factory cam sensor and I am going to swap that in tonight with new cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Hope it finally starts to run right.

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.