96 ZJ Just stops running. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ Just stops running.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

96 ZJ Just stops running.

If I start my ZJ in the driveway it'll fire right up but without warning it'll shut off. It could be 15 seconds, it could be 4 minutes later. Running down the road it will shut off during acceleration, while cruising, at a stop sign it doesnt matter. When i'm driving it, the gauges fail and fall to empty on the gas gauge, zero volts, zero oil, zero temp but the tach and speedometer freeze where they were, most of the time they recover and the engine will start running again in a matter of seconds all on it's own. I'm confused as to what it could be. I have new Mopar Crank and Cam sensors, O2 sensors, the grounds at the engine block, next to the battery and the main cable ground have all been cleaned to bare metal and re-installed. The IAC is a new Mopar piece, the TPS checked out ok, the coil wires are routed properly and the coil is not cracked. The computer harness doesnt seem to affect anything as I can grab the harness at several different places when the ZJ is running well and shake, twist, bend, and move it with no issues. The connectors at the computer are solid and nothing changes when I attempt to move those either. I've swapped around the relays to see if I had a bad one, but they all test good too. Fuses are not popped either. I'm at a loss. It's the Wife's vehicle and she wont even drive it until I get it fixed. Ideas?

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Any codes?
Coil check out?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

If it ever does send a code, it gets wiped out when the gauges go flat and the truck dies so nothing is ever stored. Coil checks good. Tried disconnecting the front O2 sensor and it ran much worse which tells me that it's doing it's job too.

Unread 08-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Crank sensor?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Brand new Mopar unit. Last one in the state.

Unread 08-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

It sounds about like the first bad PCM i had. Mine didnt shut completely down unless it was idling or coasting. if I was cruising, it would just jerk a knot in my butt. Your description of the gauges and PCM resetting is deja vu all over again. Mine would also stall when cold if I tapped a certain place on the case.

Polka is correct that a crank sensor can mimic these symptoms.

I would give the PDC a once over as described in the link below and consider replacing the PCM.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
. if I was cruising, it would just jerk a knot in my butt.
Mine did that 2 days ago. I hate that feeling, so I bought a new coil and tossed it in the back.

Yesterday, I wiggled the coil connector and all was well for a whole day. Looks like I'll once again swap the coil this weekend and work on that connector.

Before I die, I'd like to get my hands on the skinny necks of the electrical engineers who worked on the ZJ design.

Unread 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

So tonight I completely disassembled the PDC and cleaned each terminal as well as cleaned off each termial on every relay, and fuse with emery cloth. I changed the crank sensor, cleaned the battery terminals and terminal clamps and verified all connections in the wiring were clean and tight. After it sits for a day or more, the first time the key is turned on, there is no CEL and the fuel and volt gauges dont respond at all. If I leave the key on, after abour 30 seconds the PDC starts freaking out and relays go clicking on and off. I can't isolate which ones but once they start clicking, the fuel gauge activates, the volt meter responds. if I leave it run in the driveway, the relays starts clicking when it stalls too. The only code is P1391 even with a 2nd new CPS and a new Cam sensor.. still stalls at random. No shorts in the fuel injector wires, moving the wiring harness has no effect.

Unread 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Dont be insulted, but when one of my batteries died, it freaked everything out, as you just described.
Load test it.

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

And check disassemble the grounds on the block and fender, clean them, put them back on. Need to eliminate all the variables such as battery and grounds.

Sounds like a bad cap in the PCM.
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

here's an afterthought, if the crank sensor signal is absent, the PCM doesnt send the relay grounds.

It will not crank or run without crank sensor signal.
It will run but not crank without cam sensor signal

So the as the code suggests, and intermittent crank sensor signal is suspect. Since you have changed the sensor already, it would be a good idea to pull the black connector off the PCM and check pin 18. it may be pushed back. The sensor ground is furnished from the PCM on pin 4. it splices in the main engine harness near the injector wiring breakout.

Also, remove the TPS connector and turn the key on. Check for 5V between the two outside sockets on the connector.
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Jayzer97
1997 ZJ 

Mine kept dieing on me also but when I changed the charge temp sensor on top of engine behind alternator ...not the coolant temp sensorbut will be good to replace also ......try that out Kk ...
Jayzer97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
I'd like to get my hands on the skinny necks of the electrical engineers who worked on the ZJ design.
lol, pencil neck geeks!
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Wasn't there pronlems with the harness breaking or rubbing through at that point also Zee?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You're right Coralman. As the wire bundle turns around the back of the head, there is a stud standing up that causes chaffing problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.