96 ZJ Front End Rumble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ Front End Rumble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
ovrclkd
1996 ZJ 

96 ZJ Front End Rumble

I'm the new owner of a 96 ZJ which has a front end rumble. The rumble or vibration is felt through the steering wheel and is lightly audible. It begins around 40 to 45 mph and continues up to 70 (probably more but I haven't gone that fast.) There is no shake to speak of and is less when 4WD is engaged. There is a little play in the u joints at the axles (not much at all) and the shaft from the transfer case to the differential has a bit of play, I can move it about an 1/8 of a turn back and forth.
Another thing I noticed is hard over to left the steering tugs back and forth, almost like a wobble?
Turning to the right does it but not as aggressively.

I am completely new to Jeeps & any type of 4WD so any insight is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jay Riling

PS> a buddy said it might be the front axle? I changed the tires so I'm ruling that out.

ovrclkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

pull out for front axle and see if it goes away. by "u joints at the axles" do you mean halfshafts IN the axle, or the ujoint on the driveshaft at the pinion?
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
ovrclkd
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
pull out for front axle and see if it goes away. by "u joints at the axles" do you mean halfshafts IN the axle, or the ujoint on the driveshaft at the pinion?
The u joint at the axle that the wheel is on. I apologize for my lack of not knowing what each part is called. I am buying a Haynes manual so I won't be refering to the "whatjamacallit" and "you know that shiney thing" so much in the future.
ovrclkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

haha no problem. yeah if the hal fshaft (sometimes called axle shaft) u joints are worn that could cause a vibration. also, there is a cv ball in the double cardian (the 2 ujoints right next to eachother) on the dront driveshaft that can cause similar problems.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.