96 ZJ - electrical armageddon - related to headlight switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ - electrical armageddon - related to headlight switch

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
pofsa

96 ZJ - electrical armageddon - related to headlight switch

Hi all,

I posted once before with a question about my headlight switch going out and got some good answers. Still haven't fixed that.

A while back my Information Center started going haywire once in a while, with every optional message being displayed all at one time, flickering on and off, etc. It was intermittent and typically happened for a minute or two and then maybe not again for days/weeks.

Fast forward past a few months of random flickering of the information center and headlight switch/dimmer control to today. The information center was freaking out for the longest it has ever done so, for the better part of a 40 minute drive home from work. At about the 30 minute mark my cluster lost all power, my odometer went dark and all of my gauges bottomed out. The vehicle still performed fine (well, as fine as it ever does anyway).

I searched and saw some of the posts regarding this possibly being a BCM issue, etc. Before I go trying to trace that down I wanted to see if anyone thought that all of these issues could potentially be traced back to the bad headlight switch? The only reason I know for a fact that the headlight switch is bad is that when it is acting up the problem is resolved with pressure to the area around the switch.

I'm not real optimistic that it will be as easy as just fixing the headlight switch but I figure it is best to start looking at a known issue before diving deeper into the mess. I am electrically inept for the most part so I'm kind of in the dark here (sorry, no pun intended).

In the event it is relevant, I did have the computer replaced a few years back after it failed, causing a constant drain on the battery.

pofsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cluster , electrical , short , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.