96 zj 4.0l 42re intermittent trans problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 zj 4.0l 42re intermittent trans problems

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
hvydrop77

96 zj 4.0l 42re intermittent trans problems

Hey guys, I've searched for quite a while about this and I've also talked to a couple of long time mechanically inclined friends and I can't come up with straight answer. First off, I have a 96 grand Cherokee 4.0l with a 42re trans and a 242 transfer case. The problem I am having isn't always constant which is what is confusing. Starting out in 1st it'll shutter every now and Then like its trying to hook up but it doesn't want to, then in second it'll loose it completely at about 1600 rpm until I feather the gas and it hooks back up,, after that it'll be fine all the way through. Then at times it won't shutter in 1st and just loose in it second gear until I feather the gas and its fine after that. And then other times it'll rev in first and act like its got a manual clutch and slowly gain speed as if I were slowly letting off the clutch to let it grab. And lastly other times it'll be completely fine. I plan on doing an ax15 swap In the future but the funds for that aren't here right now so I just wanna keep this transmission alive for as long as I need to. So far I've changed the fluid and the filter, and adjusted the kick down cable. Any info will be greatly appreciated and if your in the Fayetteville nc area will be rewarded with a wheeling trip and a 6 pack. Thanks

hvydrop77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
hvydrop77

I was bored waiting in the parking lot so I decided to mess with the kick down cable and now I can only get 1st gear to shutter when I gun it, and I can feel it slipping in second but its less noticeable now. Still searching.
hvydrop77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.