96 ZJ 4.0 - Misfiring and runs rough at idle and acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 ZJ 4.0 - Misfiring and runs rough at idle and acceleration

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
preston96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

96 ZJ 4.0 - Misfiring and runs rough at idle and acceleration

Greetings. 96 limited with the 4.0. I'm having misfiring issues. It all started after I neglected to replace my worn motor mounts. I have an eBay APN style header and it would hit the motor mount bracket. I have since replaced the driver side mount and at first, I thought that was main reason for all of the vibration inside the jeep. At one point, I had p0304 code but it hasn't came back. All of the following relevant parts have been replaced in the last year:

- New Reman Distributor
- Cap, rotor button, plugs and wires.
- MSD Coil
- Injector at #4 (This was replaced out of desperation)

A few more things to point out. I have compression tested the #3 and #4 and got 40psi. Today, I'm going to check the rest of the cylinders to see if its a universal 40, so I'll let you know. Today, I ran it up to temp and noticed bubbling at the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. Would it be plausible that my intake gasket is toast causing the loss in compression? I'm thinking that when that exhaust manifold was hitting the motor mount bracket, it may have caused stress points on the gasket. I could be wrong, but just throwing it out there.

I have also noticed a loss of coolant; however, I think that may have to do with the water pump as I noticed dripping near it. I also fear it could be the valves or piston rings. Can anyone shed some light on my situation? This has been the worst ZJ I have ever owned. Always something with this one.

Thanks guys!

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

compression has several ways to escape depending on what is leaking. into the coolant system, into the cylinder next door, into thin air, out the exhaust, into the intake, or into the crank case.

no need to chase any problem until you get the compression questions solved
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

To be honest you shouldn't blame the machinery for poor owner maintenance. With a loose motor mount the vibrations could have caused many problems with various components under the hood including the water pump. Unfortunately it sounds as if the vibration may have damaged your PCM, their pretty damn fragile (I've replaced two already). I am currently repairing a very similar problem. I had the misfire on injector 4 code as well (still do) and it WAS running very rough. I spliced the signal wire (wire coming from PCM) to injector 5 after performing various troubleshooting. To troubleshoot it, simply unplug the misfiring injector plug, if the engine doesn't bog down, remove injector 5's plug (it will bog down) then plug it into injector 4. If the engine Idle improves, the injector is good. If so, take injector 4's plug and now plug it in injector 5. If no improvement the PCM isn't properly sending signal to the injector. At this point, you have two options. You can try to replace the injector plug (sometimes the go bad) but I would suggest tracing the signal wire to the computer and putting a volt meter from the signal pin on the PCM, and to a ground. Now compare with a working injectors terminal. If different....you have a short/bad PCM. As a temporary fix splice the injector 4 plug signal wire with injector 5's signal wire. (This will make the Jeep run MUCH better but not its best. Also CEL will remain on). This only works in I6 motors since the fire in-line. The timing will be off slightly so she will still run sluggish but much better. To fix the PCM simply go to junkyard and match your PCM's model number with another computer and do a bolt on replacement. Note that 1998 and later models need to be brought to the dealer to be reprogrammed/flashed to suite your vehicle and update VIN# information. Older models do not require this. Good luck, and in the future if something as important as a motor mount is going make sure to replace it right away otherwise you run the risk of damaging other parts. Jeeps are resilient but not invincible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.