96 Shifting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 Shifting Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
KingMidas

96 Shifting Problems

Hey folks,

I've got a 96 4.0l ZJ. When I first start it up in the morning the first couple times I stop I'll have to rev pretty high to get moving and it will jerk forward off the start. After I drive for a bit it won't be an issue anymore and shifts smoothly. My best guess from the digging I've done is a bad TPS.

Thoughts?

KingMidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

How long do you let it run before you put it in gear?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
KingMidas

Maybe 10 seconds or so. I just start and go like normal usually.
KingMidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Mine used to do that, until I did a full fluid flush, and also tossed a new tranny filter in. Now it shifts like butter, it's awesome. If the age of the tranny oil is unknown or looks brown, I would do a full fluid change with a new filter. Dirty tranny oil is what destroys transmissions.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.