96 Rear liftgate supports - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 Rear liftgate supports

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-25-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
jds4218

96 Rear liftgate supports

Recently I bought a 1996 Grand Cherokee with worn out rear hatch liftgate supports. I found aftermarket replacements at O'Reilly store, but directions are less than clear on installation. Anyone who has done this, I would appreciate some advice.

Do the factor supports just pop off the ball joint at the bottom (as the guy at the auto parts store told me). It doesn't look that easy and I don't want to screw up this project.

Thanks for the help...

jds4218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
JLA

Look for a small retainer wire or clip around the ball joint. It can be removed by prying with a small screwdriver.
4" Lift, 32 X 11.25 Goodyear TA's, AR Outlaw II's, SS Nerf's, K&N FIPK II, Gibson SS Cat-Back, Mopar Performance PCM, Mobil 1, Sirius Sat.

"That's not me! My twin brother gave me permission to use his picture!"
JLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
NYR99

I have recently replaced both of mine a few weeks ago on my 94 grand. very very simple un/installation. ball joints pop out after taking that wire thing off. make sure you have an extra (strong) person to hold the liftgate up.. it is very heavy. i wouldnt trust using a prop to hold it open. if it slips and the liftgates slams down it can do some major damage to you.
28F Package
NYR99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
jnocerin

I replaced these on my 96 last week and like they said just pop the retainer wire with a screw driver and the top come off with a allen head for bit driver. I proped mine with a wrench locked on the other side and a broom. Very quick and easy. Less than 10 minutues a side.

Jess
jnocerin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Jess,

Never use an allen socket on that again! It is a torx and you'll strip it so slick and start cursing like crazy.

I've used mt aftermarket supports for five years now and am in the mood for some new ones.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Now,

don't think that I came off to hard just then. If it is your bolt and stripped and you're standing under the liftgate by yourself knowing that you have to go to work in the morning and no way to get the bolt out, you too will want to stop others from making the same mistake.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
tehpwnt

I need to pick up some new supports as well. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow when I'm at the parts store ordering my new ABS module. I am really hoping that the parts store or the dealer will have the throttle body bolts and the throttle guide bracket bolts. If not, I'm going to have to come to the forum and see if anyone has a set I can buy.
tehpwnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
domn8r

I bought some OEM struts on Ebay for $47.00, from jenniferjeep.
I little more expensive($10) than O'Reilly's but dont have to worry about ill fitment. I need to do the hatch struts next.
domn8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
spr

I got mine at kragen for 21 each. I used on of the new struts wedged into the left side to the tire to hold open the gate while I replaced the right one. I too used a socket but it working fine. If you remove the three bolts holding it in, lift up the gate to remove the tab free it come right out. Then I just rotated the strut off the ball, it came off easy as pie. The new ones had new clips etc. so you might want to check on that before you pry it off-
spr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:06 PM   #10
jds4218

changed successfully this afternoon. Not a perfect OEM fit but very close and the hatch now stays up without hitting me in the head. The dealer wanted over $100 for this job so $35 for a pair was a good deal.

Just be sure you have a female torx socket to get the old bolts off. Using a standard socket would strip them off for sure..
jds4218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
spr

you can use a proper 16 point socket with no ill effect fwiw
spr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 07:22 AM   #12
jim2527

16 point sockets are not proper.....
jim2527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.