96 With a lot of problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 With a lot of problems

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
slayvus
1996 ZJ 

96 With a lot of problems

So my family owns a '96 with 211k miles that we used for taking the mountain path to our cabin in the woods. It was given to me just the other day, so I drove it down from the mountains to where I live, about 300-350 miles away. I had a few problems with it though when I was driving it and there are also a couple of problems with it that occurred before I received it.

The current showing problems are these though. When I was trying to accelerate it bucked a lot when going up hill or when accelerating at +3k RPM. The Oil pressure is at ~20 according to the gauge, unsure if this is the right amount. The battery voltage gauge will drop to nothing or jump to 19V and the "Check Gauges" light comes on.

The old problems. The center screen would turn off and on a lot and display a lot of incorrect information, like doors being open that weren't. The head lights sometimes will not turn off with the selector in the off position. The rear windshield wiper will not turn on sometimes and takes occasional switch flipping to get it to turn on.

My mechanical expertise is as mush as putting new fluids in the proper containers. If there is something that is easily fixed with guided instructions, I'm fine with doing that.

slayvus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

First, please fill out your info

<--------here so we know what type of vehicle you're working with. There are different systems in the engine depending on year and other good stuff.

Wiper motor is probably going bad (mine is, I just don't ever use my rear wiper, oh well) headlights and VIC (your center screen) are most likely bad solder joints, and just need to be redone. Or rip out the VIC all together. Might need a new headlight switch? Do the headlights work fine when you switch them into the on position (as in no flicker with the switch in this position).

Oil pressure should adjust depending on rpms, approx 10 per 1000rpms. Get your battery and alternator tested (many auto part stores will do this for free), always a good place to start. Depending on how well your family maintains the vehicle, it might be worth just doing a good tune up and cleaning.
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

As far as your head lights go, a little known feature of the zj is that the headlights will stay on for 90 seconds after you turn the switch off if you turn off your ignition first, to help you walk to your door or whatever when it's dark out.

And yeah like he said your Vic is probably either just loosely plugged in or just needs the board resoldered. Not too hard to do if you've ever soldered before.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
slayvus
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Welcome!

First, please fill out your info

<--------here so we know what type of vehicle you're working with. There are different systems in the engine depending on year and other good stuff.
I did, I thought. It's a stock 1996 ZJ Laredo.
slayvus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Also thought maybe this thread might help with your rear wiper, if it's not the actual switch. I actually did this last week, mine didn't work at all, now it works perfectly, only took about a half hour to do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...-motor-398760/
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.