96 Infinity Gold stereo problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 Infinity Gold stereo problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

96 Infinity Gold stereo problems

Seems like my stereo doesn't work all the way. It turns on, the CD player does not work, nor the tape player, I can surf through the AM and FM channels, but nothing really comes out of the stereo, except white noise.

Every now and then it will work fine and I can pick up FM channels no problem. Mainly I get AM channels pretty decently, but that's AM.

Any ways to fix the stereo and get it working just for now? I am not going to spend any money on this, I bought it for a donor and I have to drive it for a couple hundred miles to make sure the bugs are worked out of the powertrain, figured it would be nice to have some music to go along. Or is there any way to splice in a headphone jack cable to the amp to play music directly off of my phone?

-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Have you checked to make sure the antenna is hooked up?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

You can get an adapter to play music through the radio that plugs up in the back but your are looking at around $75 bucks. It's about the same price (maybe cheaper if you get a good deal) if you buy an aftermarket headset with plug-ins, and a cd player, than it is to go and buy the adapter. plus the newer radio will have more output power to speakers.

Check the antenna to make sure it's screwed on all the way, also take the radio out and make sure none of the wiring got loose. make sure it is grounded pretty well too.

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Antenna is fine. I just yanked out the old stereo and wired in one I had lying around. Bypassed the amp too, sounds pretty good. Took me all of 20 minutes once I figured out what wires went where.
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Antenna is fine. I just yanked out the old stereo and wired in one I had lying around. Bypassed the amp too, sounds pretty good. Took me all of 20 minutes once I figured out what wires went where.
The stock stereo stuff is pretty crappy.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not thoroughly concerned, this is a donor. For now, I am wanting to drive it around until I see if any CEL codes pop up (if the PO cleared them).
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The stock head unit isn't great but the infinity amp is good and the speakers aren't bad. Take the head out and clean everything, switches on the front and cd player guts. My cd player didn't work until I took it out and cleaned everything.

Pharis, what are you on about, an adapter that can add an aux to the stock raido? Or just a bypass. If it's the first do you have a link? I wouldn't mind running something like that until I have the $$ for a real head unit, and it would let me run some tests on the stock head and amp.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if it is the amp or the head unit that went south, can't seem to get anything out of the speakers when I hooked the stereo up to the wire cluster in the dash. Had to bypass everything at the amp, though I feel the amp has to be activated by the factory head unit... Like I said, not thoroughly concerned at this point..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.