96 Grand Cherokee (XJ?): Changing the brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 Grand Cherokee (XJ?): Changing the brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
balson

96 Grand Cherokee (XJ?): Changing the brakes

Hi, I would like to learn how to change the brakes, both front and rear in the Cherokee. I'll need to learrn how to do this if I want to keep the jeep for a lot more than the 11 years I've already had it to stop it from bleeding my wallet. Is there something I should buy to help me along? I believe there are the technical manuals that jeep sells for like $1-200 that may help. Is there anything else? What tools will one definately need o get the job done? What tools are optional that will make the job easier? Any gotchas that I should be aware of?

Any advise at all would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

balson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome....

First off, a 1996 Grand Cherokee is a ZJ.

Brakes are not hard to do as long as you follow some simple rules. One of the first things you'll want to purchase to help yourself is a large C-clamp to help press the caliper piston back into the caliper.

Do a search on this site for 'Brakes'

also, look here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/brakes-question-393118/

Check out ebay for 'manuals and literature' under ebay motors/car and truck parts.... A good Factory service manual (FSM) will be invaluable in all of your Jeep endeavors.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

It's very easy to DIY, no special tools needed, all metric sockets. Pick up the clamp as Vestjam suggested
When you go to auto store to get your break pads, pick up a Haynes manual, $15
It will give you basic idea about your ZJ + step by step routine maintenance and some repair info

zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.