Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

96 Grand Cherokee Transmission lines

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dodgetk81 
#1 ·
Coming out of the radiator is a hard line. There is a flexible line that attaches to that with a removable fitting. This fitting leaked before and Jeep made me buy the whole line back to the transmission. Now it's leaking again and the only replacement is $80 line. All that's probably bad is an o ring. Anybody experience this and have a fix?

#3 ·
I was quoted about the same $88 price. Funny thing is there is a detachable rubber hose on the hard line going back to the trans but you can't just buy that. The front of this rubber hose ( about a foot long) has that fitting that keeps leaking. There's no excuse for Chrysler not to make this short piece avail, choosing instead to screw the customer for a whole transmission line. < end of rant>

Even though I like the Grand Cherokee, stuff like this ticks me off. I may just replace all the lines with braided stainless hose.

Rick

#5 ·
yeah I hear ya w/ the tranny lines. mine had a small crack and all of the tranny fluid eventually leaked out of it. not good at all.

anyways, I had to replace that whole line also. costed me about the same price that everyone else here is saying. it's too bad that you cant replace just the rubber hose and not having to replace the whole line

#7 ·
Why can't you just cut out the hose from the steel line and put in new transmission rubber hose with the proper fittings on it to the rad from the steel line.

Had to do it on my intrepid and it worked , sure the line ain't so pretty lookin but then it worked

:p

#8 ·
This is what I did....

I cut out the rubber hose portion..got 3 flared fittings...a piece of steel brake line..or transmission line..and my flaring tool...done!!!or you may even be able to use compression fittings...I see no need for that type of set up...for years cars have had all steel lines that fit directly from the tranny to the radiator...or aux cooler...
just a suggestion...

#9 ·
I just got fuel lines from Classic Tube in NY for my Dodge Ram. I belive the connectors are the same for the fuel lines as they are for the trans lines. Give them a call and see if they will sell you the connectors or if they will make a hose to your specs. www.classictube.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.