96 grand cherokee fuel pump woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 grand cherokee fuel pump woes

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
turbojeep88

96 grand cherokee fuel pump woes

hows it goin guys? my dad is having a problem with his jeep. he parked it at work and it was running fine but when he went to leave it just cranked and cranked. i went to check it out today and i couldn't hear the fuel pump and i noticed the gauges weren't cycling when i turned the key on. i think its the fuel pump but was wondering if the gauges not cycling pointed to something different like a bad ground or ecu or something? what do you guys think?

turbojeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's hard to say man. Start checking the basics, fuel, spark compression.

If you have fuel and spark, do a compression test, my guess is that you'll find a problem with one of the first two.
Unread 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

If you have fuel and spark, check ths CPS. Does the tac move when you crank the engine ?
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
turbojeep88

update: it has neither fuel nor spark and the guages wont cycle when switched to on. cranks over fine and all other things electrical seem to work. ran just fine the other day. any suggestions?
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
242forme
1977 CJ5 

Have you checked the fuses in the Power Distribution Center?(the black rectangular box next to the battery)

A few years ago, my '96 Zj had the same problem you describe. I found one of the fuses blown. It was the fuse for the ASD (automatic shutdown relay) I replaced the fuse and it started right up. Then, when I put it in gear,it blew the same fuse again. On mine the wiring harness for the rear oxygen sensor had sagged down and was rubbing on the driveshaft. The wires were worn through creating a short.
242forme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
turbojeep88

yea that was the first thing i checked, i didnt notice any blown ones. im goin back to look at it tomorrow hopefully i can figure it out. i googled the problem and found it might be the ecu or the factory alarm system so i guess i'll check that stuff out.
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep88 View Post
...factory alarm system...

The factory alarm does disable the fuel pump but that wouldn't explain no spark.

LC.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Did you check for codes?

If a CPS fails, it'll let the engine continue running, but won't restart after you shut it down. Just another thing to check. Mine did the same thing as what you're describing and it was bad wires to the CPS.
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
turbojeep88

i think i figured it out. i unplugged the wire to the cps and the gauges worked again. plugged it back in and no gauges. looks like im replacing the cps tomorrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.