96 Grand Cherokee fuel pump change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 Grand Cherokee fuel pump change

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 12-11-2002, 07:12 AM   #1
carrolles

96 Grand Cherokee fuel pump change

Hi,

I'm new here and have a question. My daughter has a 96 Grand Cherokee that won't start. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump. Jumpering around the relay gets no response from the pump and I get no pressure at the fuel rail.

I started looking at what is involved in dropping the tank to change the pump. The wiring connector for the fuel pump is difficult to see and it has some sort of keeper that I can't figure out. The new pump is on order and I guess I'll see how the plug comes apart when I get it but I wanted to get a headstart and drop the tank now.

Any suggestions on how the plug comes apart would be greatly appreciated.

Also the diagram of the power distribution center (fuse/relay box under the hood) in the owner's manual (and the Haynes manual) has a different arrangement than what is in the vehicle. The manual shows all the relays and fuses in two lines, the box in the car doesn't look anything like that. This causes me a problem because the fuses are not labled. I can't tell which fuse is for the fuel pump. The relays are labeled inside the box cover but the fuses are not. Do I have an early 96 model that maybe has a 95 model relay panel?

Thanks,

Carroll

carrolles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 06:44 PM   #2
ZR7 Ken

If the connector has a red slide-lock, you need to click it over to allow you to push the tab so you can unplug the connector. I wish I had a pic, but I'll try to describe as best as possible.
The slide lock has one side that is stepped up away from the connector. Put a flat blade screwdriver against the OTHER side of the red lock and click it in until it's flush with the black part of the connector that it goes through. They are often gritty and you need to give it some force. You can then push the tab and unplug.

It sounds like you have the normal 96 PDC. The 93-95's were lined up as you described. I'm not at work right now, so I cant tell you which fuse is for the pump. If you have a constant power at the relay terminals, the fuse should be OK.

If the old pump sock filter has a lot of grit or sludgy type stuff on it, I'd recommend draining the tank and wiping out the inside with a soft white cloth or paper rags. We've had contaminants cause repeated failures and fuel starvation. I like to filter the fuel through a paint strainer when I put it back in.

Sorry I rambled. I hope some of it helps.
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 06:07 AM   #3
carrolles

ZR7 Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

The connector does have a red keeper. The new pump is due in today so I'll have a look at it first. I had errands to do last night so I didn't get time to explore.

My 96 owner's manual does show the PDC with the breakers and fuses in two lines with a matching description. This is useless to me since my PDC looks nothing like it. Do you have access to the correct diagram and description and if so would it be possible for you to post it or e-mail it to me?

I really appreciate these Forums and the member's participation. I participate in the Fiero Forum often and enjoy passing on tricks of the trade.

Thanks again for your help,

Carroll
Unread 12-13-2002, 07:18 AM   #4
carrolles

bump back to the top
Unread 12-14-2002, 11:40 PM   #5
Chris_L

Not sure if it helps or not, but here is a shot of when I had to drop my tank. The pump is sitting on the left.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.