96 grand cherokee front ring and pinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 grand cherokee front ring and pinion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
chuckt88

96 grand cherokee front ring and pinion

This is my second zj and I'm new to ring and pinion replacement I bought a set from a guy and they are D30373tj will these work in my zj and if so how do I knw if its the same gears that are in it already?? Any help is appreciated

chuckt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
moose27
1996 ZJ 

As far as knowing if there the same gears there's a stamp on the ring that tells you what the gear is, or you can always count the teeth I believe
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

Depends if they are both low pinion or high pinion and if they are the same as what you have/had.
I would be very weary of using used R&P. It may take a while to get them right.
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
chuckt88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1
Depends if they are both low pinion or high pinion and if they are the same as what you have/had.
I would be very weary of using used R&P. It may take a while to get them right.
These are all new parts still in the package and I'm not sure what u mean by low pinion or high pinion??
chuckt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They should work as long as your current gears are 3:73 ratio. They are low pinion if they were for a TJ. Low pinion axles have the pinion axis centerline below the axle centerline. High pinion are the opposite.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob
They should work as long as your current gears are 3:73 ratio. They are low pinion if they were for a TJ. Low pinion axles have the pinion axis centerline below the axle centerline. High pinion are the opposite.
There are also two different low pinion axles. One with a long "cj style" low pinion, and another with a shorter "tj style" low pinion. The big difference is the pinion lengths, and cj gears will not work in a tj and vice versa. Iirc, 93-95 is cj, 96-98 is tj, although a handful of 96s have cj style pinions, most likely just left overs from the 95's being used in the early 96s.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.