96 GCL feels like I'm pulling dead weight!!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 GCL feels like I'm pulling dead weight!!!!!!!!!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

96 GCL feels like I'm pulling dead weight!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a 96 GCL with 148,000 from a friend of the family that wanted an upgrade. She's had it since 60,000 and had regular maintance but with no hubby she just had done what the shop told her. SO a lot was overlooked.

I've already changed the plugs, wires are only a year old, 5,000 miles on tires and brakes, I greased all steering and joints, cat was recalled so that's new, but came back with a cracked header I just took it off and TIG welded it close, I'm a Machinist so I bored out the throttle body personaly while the header was off, have run lucas injector cleaner, and lucas oil stabilizer.

With all that said, it is still running a little rough at idle. Feels like its either missing a hit or the timings off. No $ right now so I have to do all the tests myself and haven't learned how to check timing yet so any hints on that is appreciated.
The biggest problem I have is that once I get to 3rd and 4th gear I have NO get-up-and-go when I hit the gas. Feels like I'm pulling a load and going up a hill at the same time. Plans to change Trans filter and fluid next paycheck.
Anybody know how to do a TransFlush with out paying a shop?

That's all for now. Thanks for the help.

96gcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Go here for instruction on how to do a more complete fluid change:

Changing and flushing automatic transmission fluid

Timing is controlled by the computer, so not much you can do there. Mine misses slightly at idle also. I'm planning on doing a compression check to see if its valves. With a cracked header, you may have some valve issues.

With your no get-up-and-go I'd definitely do a compression check.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

Does it do it when its cold as well, like when you first start it??
92rslt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

Yes it reacts the a little rougher when first started but still does it when it has been running an hour.
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

what motor is it? I6 or v8?
Unread 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

I6 4.0l not sure if it is the HO or not.
Unread 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

Its HO.
Ok, you say "its missing a hit" so I assume you are having both engine and tranny troubles from the sounds of it.
If you pin it on the highway does it kick down a gear?

When you pull the plugs was any of them noticeably different? wet or different colored? Is it an erratic idle or just a slight miss every now and then? you might want to separate the issues and work on one at a time. If it was mine I would find the root of the erratic idle first. Do a compression test, check the plugs for abnormality's and check or replace the rotor and cap if you haven't.
Unread 09-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

When I got the GCL 3 weeks ago I pulled the plugs the third cylinder, third from radiator, it was deteriated to the point that the white ceramic was being burnt back about 3/16 from original size. All others looked like normal wear. Will pull same plug tonight and see if it is any worse than the new ones now.
When goin do the highway and I punch it it does drop down a gear but still struggles. feels like it just hovers around around 2000 rpms and doesn't want to go any higher. Speed does grow but slowly.
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

OK, you need to do a compression test on that cylinder too. I think they rent testers at local auto stores if you don't have one. depending on the plug and what it looked like you might be running lean on that cylinder. Try unplugging that injector and running the engine. If it makes no difference whether its unplugged or plugged in you most likely have a bad injector on that cylinder. (unless the compression is too low) There is also ways to test the injector signal wires to make sure they are giving signal. 99% of the time its not the wires though, its the injector. Of course all this that i mention depends on what you find out when you do a comp test and look at the plug.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

Pulled all plugs and they all look good still even though they only have 500 miles on them so not sure if any signs had time to show. Also checked distibutor and it looks bad. Rusty contacts and white build up. Cleaned up points. Seems like rotor shaft is a little lose. Able to wiggle it around in distributor. Is that normal? My truck has a coil pack so noot real familar with dist
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

If i has a lot of play I would replace it. They aren't supposed to flop all around in there. you probably could get a nice one at a bone yard. If you cant find one Let me know. I have an extra. build up in a dizzy is never good either. cap and rotors are pretty cheap. It just sounds like it was never maintained.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

Also have a ticking noise coming from distributor. Actually louder than the 150000 mile valves. My brother has a 93 cherokee that doesn't sound that way
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

The lady I bought it from just putted around town. The longest trip she has been on in the last 4 years was 100 miles round trip!! So she just took it to the local shop for oil and tires not much else I only paid $2000 so I knew it wouldn't be perfect.
Will look into finding a replacement dist. How long do I have before there is more damage than just the cap and rotor? Prefer to find a good deal rather than just buying 1st one I find
Thanks for the help. Little ones bed time so all for today
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

No telling how long it will last, I'm betting a new ones cheaper than a tow truck bill though. like i said i think i have an extra so if you don't end up finding one lmk.
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
96gcl
1996 ZJ 

Autozone has them for $45 remanufactured with 2 yr warranty, so I'll just pick one up this weekend. Hopefully that will solve the roughness, as far as the trans I'll try a flush and go from there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.