96 GC Wiring Diagram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 GC Wiring Diagram

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Miss_Jeep
1996 ZJ 

96 GC Wiring Diagram

Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for my 96 GC?

It still wont start. Cranks but wont fire up.

Tester showed no power going to the coil. Was wondering if we are missing a IGN fuse or something that we havent checked yet?

Miss_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
j.love
1994 ZJ 

check the auto shutdown relay in the engine bay.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Miss_Jeep
1996 ZJ 

We replaced the ASD relay with the wiper relay, still no luck.
Also checked to make sure fuel was getting pumped, that spurted right out no problems. I also tried resetting the PCM by disconnecting the battery, holding the key in the crank position for 20 seconds, turning the key to the off position and reconnecting the battery.
We gave it a tune up, new brakes, new rotors, new parking lights, oil change, new battery and new belt the week before it died.

I've ordered a new computer. Can I flash it at home or is that something that I need to take to a dealer/mechanic to do? How important is it to flash it before installation?
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I dont have a diagram for it, but to check all your fuses in both boxes:

With key on, put your meter on DC volts autoscale and touch the little contacts on top of each fuse. If you get voltage anywhere besides the fused ignition, troubleshoot. Mine has less than .5V drop on fused ignition and so have other ZJs I've checked.

What will be doing is checking voltage drop across the fuse. You want the same voltage potential on each side of the fuse, thus no meter reading. Remember you are looking for NO voltage.

If you find a problem, THEN you'll need a diagram
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Oh yeah, first see if you have voltage to the fuses by connecting black lead to the neg post on battery, then touch the red lead to the inside contact on top of the fuse. Key on for this too.

_ ^_ ^

The asterisk represent the contacts of fuses in rows. The vertical line is the common bus. Check the ones with the carats for battery voltage.
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Miss_Jeep
1996 ZJ 

ok checked all fuses and they are working. Also bought a new computer and installed that. Still getting a crank with no fire up.
Unread 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Miss_Jeep
1996 ZJ 

Tried to find the CPS but couldnt locate it. Also found the ground coming off of the engine, it snakes into a wire harness hose and from there I lose it. Couldnt find anywhere it attaches to the firewall.
Unread 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Jeep View Post
Tried to find the CPS but couldnt locate it. Also found the ground coming off of the engine, it snakes into a wire harness hose and from there I lose it. Couldnt find anywhere it attaches to the firewall.
How are you testing the power to the coil?

Battery voltage is supplied to the ignition coil positive terminal from the ASD relay.

The PCM opens and closes the ignition coil ground circuit for ignition coil operation.

PM me you email addy and i can send you a digram for a 97. best i can do for ya.

The CPS is on the bell housing behind the tranny dipstick. It's a bear to get to.
Unread 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Miss_Jeep
1996 ZJ 

thank you so much for your help! I found a video on You Tube on how to change the CPS and thankfully that helped find it. It was a PIA to get at like you said but for 63.99 my Jeep is running again!!!

Vrooom!
Unread 07-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Kewlio!
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
j.love
1994 ZJ 

nice work guys and girls. : thumbsup:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.