96 GC laredo immobilizer system? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 GC laredo immobilizer system?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread Yesterday, 12:46 AM   #1
tom5170

96 GC laredo immobilizer system?

I just bought it about a month ago and haven't driven it much because I needed to get it legal.

I drained the battery once by leaving the liftgate glass ajar when I first bought it. I found out that the liftgate glass will NOT lock itself using the powered locks - but it will UNLOCK using the powered locks. I have to manually go back each time I use the powered locks and close the liftgate glass or it will stay ajar.

After I charged the battery full. The jeep was just fine. It sat for a few weeks but never did the battery drain. Until one day I went out and was messing around with it and then when I was done, I used the keyless remote to lock the doors and then a red light started flashing on the dash near the windshield. I came to realization that it must've been an alarm system. I noticed this red light flashing over the course of 4-5 days and never thought nothing of it. Then after about 5 days of seeing it I went out to the jeep for something and tried to start it "*click click click*" the battery was drained. I also on accident left the hood ajar but I didn't see any hood switch along the fender, it's just a hole there.

It seems like when I locked the doors manually, the battery never drained, but when this light flashed for about 4-5 days, the battery drained. Can this cause this from sitting and with that alarm system armed, it draws from the battery?

tom5170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:51 AM   #2
tom5170

I'm guessing the red light is flashing to say it's activated? Excuse my ignorance lol
Unread Yesterday, 01:42 AM   #3
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

The light flashes when it's armed and shouldn't drain your battery over the course of 4-5 days. Mine say for 3 weeks before I bought it and didn't need a jump to start. And what do you mean you have to close the glass? I took that as when you unlock the doors with your remote, the glass opens. It shouldn't do that. At least mine and all the others I've seen don't do that
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:49 AM   #4
tom5170

When I use the remote to unlock the doors, the liftgate and liftgate glass unlock. When I press lock, the doors and liftgate will lock. The liftgate glass will basically unlock but wont lock when pressing the remote. It will then say liftgate glass ajar on the VIC and the interior lights will stay on so I have to go back, lift the liftgate glass, and then close it so it will not be ajar.
Unread Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #5
jeepjeepster

You have a bad switch in the lift glass then.

The interior lights should not be on even if the lift glass isn't locked. If its not locking when you lock the doors you may have a separate issue but if the VIC is saying glass ajar when its closed you have a bad switch in the glass..
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ agree and I've heard sometimes if you have a bad switch for the liftgate glass it can cause a parasitic drain even if the interior lights aren't left on. The red LED light in the alarm system doesn't use hardly any power at all even with it flashing.

Be sure to check/clean all your grounds including the one on the inside fender next to the battery, the engine grounds, any which may be on the firewall, and the battery terminal connections themselves. Also check to make sure you have a good battery.

BTW, there's no switch for the underhood light since it's built into the light housing itself. Turns on when the hood's about half way up and off when about half way down.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #7
tom5170

When I use the power locks to unlock the doors, the lift glass and gate will also unlock. When I use the power locks to lock the doors, the doors and gate will lock except the glass - it will remain ajar until I go back and open and close it.

When the lift glass unlocks and becomes ajar, the interior lights will come on and stay on until I open and close the glass so it latches - then the interior lights go out. I was told this is normal that the interior lights are supposed to come on when the gate or glass is opened. It's just my glass won't latch when pressing the lock button.
Unread Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #8
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The lock for the lift glass isn't mechanical at all. When the liftgate locks, it opens a switch interrupting power to the release button for the glass.

If your glass is opening when you unlock the doors then the release button is stuck in the pressed position. That's the only thing that can cause your issue.

Locking anything has nothing to do with anything mechanical on the lift glass. The latching mechanism for the glass is ONLY controlled by the push button by the license plate. Let me repeat that, the latch for the glass has a single control point - the button. The only thing the locks do is remove power from the glass release button.

So the only way the window will unlatch by itself is if there's a problem with the release button.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #9
tom5170

yeah, when I unlock the doors, the glass basically releases/opens/stays ajar until.I go back and manually open and close it then it latches until I press unlock and then the glass opens.

When I press the release button, nothing happens. do you know if this can cause a power drain with the release button being stuck? is there a way I can fix it?
Unread Today, 01:34 AM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Believe you have no choice but to replace the liftgate glass ajar switch. Here's a post with the OE number and $27 price from the dealer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r.../#post15865490

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:05 PM   #11
monte350
1998 ZJ 

you could pull the lower lift gate trim panel and unplug the glass release switch or solenoid(the plug is probably on the glass latch mechanism, probably 2 large wires). this should prevent it from releasing every time you work the locks. then let it sit for a week and see if you battery drains.
monte350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.