96 Disk Drake Removal Problems (Help) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 Disk Drake Removal Problems (Help)

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 08-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

96 Disk Drake Removal Problems (Help)

Hey Guys,
Searched the threads couldnt find any info on the ZJ's just WJ's. Workin on the rear breaks on my 96 limited ZJ inline 6. My parking brake has not been functionable and I think this is somehow not allowing me to remove the rear brake disk. How can I disingage/remove the park brake in order to remove rear disk. Any advice is much appreciated. Have tried hitting it with soft mallet no luck. Thanks

Unread 08-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

there should be a star wheel that you can access from the axle side to release the parking brake shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

Great. will i rotate that with a screwdriver?
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96jeepman View Post
Great. will i rotate that with a screwdriver?
you should be able to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

losening the star bolt seems to be losening parking brake, however it seems to be getting hard/almost impossible to turn the star bolt any further. The brake disk is still not able to come off. Do I try to continue to turn the star bolt? any ideas?
Unread 08-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

I have pb blasted and let sit for a couple of hours hit from behind with 4lb mallet getting nowhere. How long should I let it sit with the pb blaster? Ive losened the parking brake conection so theres slack, turn the star bolt to disengage parking brake from rotor, seems that there is no interference between parking brake and rotor so I think its just "welded" rusted in place. any Idea? thanks for the help
Unread 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96jeepman View Post
I have pb blasted and let sit for a couple of hours hit from behind with 4lb mallet getting nowhere. How long should I let it sit with the pb blaster? Ive losened the parking brake conection so theres slack, turn the star bolt to disengage parking brake from rotor, seems that there is no interference between parking brake and rotor so I think its just "welded" rusted in place. any Idea? thanks for the help
If you have not been able to budge the rotor from the beginning, it may be rusted to the hub, in which case you should try some heat (propane, MAPP, etc) on the rotor where it contacts the hub. You don't want to go too crazy (as in glowing red) as you run a risk of damaging a bearing or seal. As you apply the heat, hit the rotor with the mallet, first one side, then the other.

If the rotor is moving around already, chances are its hung up on the parking brake, in which case try to close down the star adjuster some more & keep moving it around, banging from behind.

Sometimes you have to be aggressive & realize that you may be buying a new rotor before you're through.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

thanks guys got the job done this was helpful. Just had to sack up and hit it
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
BRIANC500
1993 ZJ 

adda boy
BRIANC500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.