JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   96 Disk Drake Removal Problems (Help) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/96-disk-drake-removal-problems-help-842156/)

96jeepman 08-21-2009 07:03 PM

96 Disk Drake Removal Problems (Help)

Hey Guys,
Searched the threads couldnt find any info on the ZJ's just WJ's. Workin on the rear breaks on my 96 limited ZJ inline 6. My parking brake has not been functionable and I think this is somehow not allowing me to remove the rear brake disk. How can I disingage/remove the park brake in order to remove rear disk. Any advice is much appreciated. Have tried hitting it with soft mallet no luck. Thanks

elmer_fud 08-21-2009 07:05 PM

there should be a star wheel that you can access from the axle side to release the parking brake shoes

96jeepman 08-21-2009 07:09 PM

Great. will i rotate that with a screwdriver?

elmer_fud 08-21-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96jeepman (Post 7796377)
Great. will i rotate that with a screwdriver?

you should be able to

96jeepman 08-22-2009 10:11 AM

losening the star bolt seems to be losening parking brake, however it seems to be getting hard/almost impossible to turn the star bolt any further. The brake disk is still not able to come off. Do I try to continue to turn the star bolt? any ideas?

96jeepman 08-22-2009 12:30 PM

I have pb blasted and let sit for a couple of hours hit from behind with 4lb mallet getting nowhere. How long should I let it sit with the pb blaster? Ive losened the parking brake conection so theres slack, turn the star bolt to disengage parking brake from rotor, seems that there is no interference between parking brake and rotor so I think its just "welded" rusted in place. any Idea? thanks for the help

SJZ 08-22-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96jeepman (Post 7799421)
I have pb blasted and let sit for a couple of hours hit from behind with 4lb mallet getting nowhere. How long should I let it sit with the pb blaster? Ive losened the parking brake conection so theres slack, turn the star bolt to disengage parking brake from rotor, seems that there is no interference between parking brake and rotor so I think its just "welded" rusted in place. any Idea? thanks for the help

If you have not been able to budge the rotor from the beginning, it may be rusted to the hub, in which case you should try some heat (propane, MAPP, etc) on the rotor where it contacts the hub. You don't want to go too crazy (as in glowing red) as you run a risk of damaging a bearing or seal. As you apply the heat, hit the rotor with the mallet, first one side, then the other.

If the rotor is moving around already, chances are its hung up on the parking brake, in which case try to close down the star adjuster some more & keep moving it around, banging from behind.

Sometimes you have to be aggressive & realize that you may be buying a new rotor before you're through.

96jeepman 08-23-2009 11:58 PM

thanks guys got the job done this was helpful. Just had to sack up and hit it

BRIANC500 08-24-2009 12:48 AM

adda boy :)

The time now is 01:11 PM.