96-98 PCM repair procedure W/Pictures - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96-98 PCM repair procedure W/Pictures

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #106
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Thought this would be a good addition to this post.

MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #107
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

I'm in the middle of fighting a PCM issue with my 96 ZJ... Will start fine... passes the wiggle test, and you can drive it. Sometimes it will run fine, and then when you get down the road, it will just shut off on you. No CEL... just *blah*. If you try to restart, it won't. Turn the key off, wait a few seconds, and try to restart, and most of the time it will fire back up and keep running... sometimes for a while, and sometimes it will die in a few minutes. Then there are times it won't restart at all. Gets fuel... no fire.... Computer doesn't report a loss of CKP or CMP, so I suspect the PCM.

Only code i get is a P0351. Replaced the coil. CKP and CMP are good. It's pointing to a bad PCM. So either I have to find a PCM in the junkyard from a running wreck, or shell out $650+ for a new PCM from Jeep. I'm a bit leery of the A1Cardone repops.

Looks like I am going to pull my PCM this weekend and pop it open. Have to make sure I take my tune off of it first....

But now I've seen the Regulator board issue, and the three main harness issue.... More to check....
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #108
Bloodbath
1998 ZJ 

That's how mine was but got progressively worse. I changed out my electrolytic caps, added solder to all the connector solder joints and reflowed a couple other components. Almost 2 weeks and still working perfectly. Wish I did this about a year ago when it first started stalling.

Sucked always having the thought in my head of "where am I going to pull over if it stall right now?". I've had that thought so long that it's going to take a while for me to trust the Jeep again but all is looking good so far.
6" Lift - 32 x 11.5 BFG MT's - K&N FIPK - MSD Ignition with Magnecore wires - JKS Control Arms, Trackbars and QD's - Addco Front Swaybar - Intake Swap - U-turn Steering Conversion
Bloodbath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #109
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodbath View Post
I've had that thought so long that it's going to take a while for me to trust the Jeep again but all is looking good so far.
yes, I know the feeling. i still have pause before crossing two lanes of oncoming traffic at an uncontrolled intersection... and mine hasnt stalled in for over a year now.. *looking for some wood to knock on*
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #110
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
*looking for some wood to knock on*
I always knock on my head
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #111
titaniumriders

ramanned pcms with lifetime warranty

Hey everybody

First off...damn. thanks! Wish I'd have known this a week ago.

My moms 96 pcm just took a ****.

Garage wanted $570 new 1yr warranty, $350 used 1 yr warranty

I came a cross a company who sells remanufactured pcms calibrated, flashed and tested with a lifetime warranty ( once they receive your core via prepaid ups label) for $169.
I saw on eBay and called direct...they said it was $220 till I mentioned eBay.

All in all a great deal if you don't enjoy that potting goo... ( which makes me wo der replace it with shoe goo? Amazing **** for $4)

Anyway here the eBay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120911292246...84.m1423.l2649

Their info is
All computer resouces Inc
12415 sw 136th Ave
Miami FL 33186
1866 699 5230

I am in no way affiliated with them, I just thought it was good info to share
titaniumriders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #112
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumriders View Post
Click the link
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #113
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Dang, they've come up a notch or two.
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #114
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

My 96 was built in 10/95, and the ECM looks different than the one in the OP. It looks like the one pictured here. Does anyone know if the procedure is the same for this different style of ECM?
zjecm.jpg

Unread 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #115
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i've seen another one like it, but it was in an overseas model.

IDK what's in there.
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #116
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

Just my luck lol. I guess we will find out here shortly!
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #117
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/pcm-1619121/

I just followed this repair...the above link is my results.
gensysmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #118
NissanGuy23
1996 ZJ 

What exactly does it mean to 're-flow' the back of the board? Like hit it with a heat gun, or melt the contacts with a iron? Put it in an oven?
NissanGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #119
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy23 View Post
What exactly does it mean to 're-flow' the back of the board? Like hit it with a heat gun, or melt the contacts with a iron? Put it in an oven?
Re-solder the pins on the back of the board. Take care not to over heat the pins or it will melt the connector housing causing the pins to misalign.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #120
NissanGuy23
1996 ZJ 

Does anyone offer or willing to do a "repair service", like i send them my PCM and they remove the board, re-solder and send back? I would be def willing to pay for it. My options are buy all the equipment, torch, kit, learn to solder, go to junkyard / buy a re man unit, spend $250 for a new one, ect. I would trust someone who has re-soldered before more than anything.
NissanGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.