THANKS for this procedure. I have a 96 and it was stalling randomly without codes (once threw some random code, I forget what it was now). The PO replaced many parts, I replaced a few, then found this article and suspected the computer. I poked at it while the engine was running, and when I wiggled the center connector, it stumbled for a second.
So I dived in and got things apart. Instead of using the knife to cut away the edges of the potting compound from within the case, I just used the torch to heat the edges to loosen the stuff. It took a really long time so much patience is required, and don't let boiling compound shoot out and hit you in the face. Then I (gently) cut a channel in the compound with the knife over the pins, then removed that strip of compound with acetone, my fingers, and a very stiff plastic brush (which worked well if brushed in one direction). I just reflowed the center plug pins, temporarily put it all back together and no more stalling. I am really pleased this worked.