'96-'98 to '93-'95 zj swap everything - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '96-'98 to '93-'95 zj swap everything

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 01-31-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
paulwaller
1996 ZJ 

'96-'98 to '93-'95 zj swap everything

hey guys,
I have a 96 zj limited right now that I just rolled and pretty much totalled the body everywhere. Everything runs perfectly though, fired up first try after sitting upside down for a day and drove it home. Thank god I know how to weld a stinger bumper up right.

I found a 94 limited with a blown tranny for $600 bucks that im picking up this morning.

My question is, is it possible to swap literally everything right down to the dash and door panels into the 94. Im not at all afraid of PITA jobs which I know this one probably is. I know the OBDI to OBDII is really the issue here, but is the actual bare bones body of the vehicle the same? The engine in the 94 is good according to the owner, but If I had to I wouldnt mind swapping in my motor if that was needed to make it compatible with the OBDII computer I would also have to swap in.

Man I sure would love to talk to ratmonkey right now....

paulwaller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Never heard of it, but I'm just guessing that minor differences in mounting will be encountered. As you said, you'll need to swap everything.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Every bit of wiring will need to be swapped
Marcos is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

It has been done... But backwards of what you're doing. A dude OBD2'd a 1993 to run a OBD2 5.9 out of a 1998 LTD. It took him a little over a year to complete, but he did it. Everything down to the over head console and VIC was swapped.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
paulwaller
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
It has been done... But backwards of what you're doing. A dude OBD2'd a 1993 to run a OBD2 5.9 out of a 1998 LTD. It took him a little over a year to complete, but he did it. Everything down to the over head console and VIC was swapped.
would I have to mess with the AC compressor and heater as well?
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwaller View Post
would I have to mess with the AC compressor and heater as well?
that is the part that worries you ???

I would guess not unless you want to use the climate control from the newer .. If you are ok with the older ones system ... you shoud be able to tie in the heater in the engine bay and the ac may have a bracket issue ... but it may work .. not sure on the pulley size .. only issue may be the vacuumm controller but should be easy enough ....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
paulwaller
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998_ZJltd View Post
that is the part that worries you ???

I would guess not unless you want to use the climate control from the newer .. If you are ok with the older ones system ... you shoud be able to tie in the heater in the engine bay and the ac may have a bracket issue ... but it may work .. not sure on the pulley size .. only issue may be the vacuumm controller but should be easy enough ....
haha Im just doing my research man. honestly my main objective is to have the 96+ interior. I just love the look of it. Really and truly though it's stupid to change the entire OBD system thorughout the engine, sensors, plugs, and wires just to feel a little more comfortable. I was just curious if it was possible but the cost sort of out weighs the benfit....
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
paulwaller
1996 ZJ 

Thank you for all the replies though!
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I would look at repairing the transmission on the 94 and call it good.

The only thing you might want to swap out is the transfer case if the 94 still has the 249. Also the 94 will have a D35 in the rear with drum brakes. Your F8.8 would be good to swap in.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
joey48442
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine anything would be insurmountable if everything was removed and swapped. If there are any differences I'm sure it's very minor. Maybe a few mounting brakets or wiring holes. I pulled everything (every last nut and bolt and wire) out of a 1992 Miata and installed it into a 1994 body and there actually is quite a difference between the years, although it doesn't look it. Engine is different, as well as wiring harness. I took my time and removed everything and transferred everything over. The harness was tricky to extract, but not impossible. It fired right up. Took my a winter of working a few evenings a week. I say do it!

Joey
joey48442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine 5.2 , grand cherokee zj , interior , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.