96' 4.0l 4x4 conversion - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96' 4.0l 4x4 conversion

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Ah, 4x4 swaps. I'm helping a buddy with his Isuzu Rodeo, go from 2WD to 4WD. We've already picked the donor apart, all we need now is to get the 4wd tranny rebuilt and installed, and the rest should take a day or two. He might also be sourcing a manual t-case for it, since the current case is electric-assist.

Anyway, for a ZJ, get a parts Jeep, you'll need it. The procedure, as follows, based on my experience with drivetrain swapping:

Donor Disassembly:

1. Remove driveshafts
2. Remove transfer case
3. Remove transmission
4. Remove t-case lever, mounts, and bezel
5. Remove GDM/VIC if applicable
6. Remove rear axle*
7. Remove font axle*
8. Remove any desired parts
9. Remove Jeep

*Do this in tandem with your Jeep, for easier removal of the parts vehicle later. It's a lot easier to move around and work with a vehicle sitting on its axles, even if the axles are only partially attached. We did a switcharoo of Scott's trucks' rear axles in about 3 hours. Only bothered to put 2 bolts back onto the mounts for the donor truck because it only needed to be winched onto a flatbed.

Preparation:

1. Inspect and repair transmission and t-case
2. Clean axles and paint them for rust protection
3. Acquire brake fluid

Installation of 4x4 System:

1. Swap rear axle
2. Swap front axle
3. Be sure to connect brake lines appropriately
4. Swap transmissions
5. Install transfer case
6. Install t-case linkages and shifter
7. Install driveshafts
8. Add or change fluids wherever necessary. Count on a full transmission fluid fill.
9. Bleed brakes
10. Install GDM/VIC if applicable
11. Inspect installation, ensure everything works properly
12. Test drive

Things I'm not Sure About; Application-specific:

* The transmission crossmembers may be different between 2WD and 4WD
* Rear driveshafts are different, I think, but check first
* You may need to use the 4WD PCM. I know nothing about the 2WD PCM
* If you're using 3.73 axles from the parts Jeep, you'll need to use both its axles if your Jeep is 3.55
* I don't know if 2WD ZJs have the t-case linkage mounts. If they don't, you'll need the ones from the donor. Things like that are why you buy a whole donor vehicle.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

The information ive got form several different forums shows it being pretty simple.
Parts I need,
Over drive section of a 4x4 transmission
Transfer case
Linkage
Front and rear drive shafts
And front axle.

The donor jeep I have is geared with 3.73s, which matches my gear ration on my 2x4 jeep. Donor is also a 96 4.0.(same as mine) Which from my understanding has the same transmission as mine. (42re) this means I shouldnt have a problem taking the OD section from my 2x4 jeep and bolting on the 4x4 OD section. This eliminates the need for an entirely new 4x4 transmission.

The PCMs for the zjs seem to be the same for all. For example mine went bad, instead of paying $200 for a new flashed one with my vin number, I went and pulled one out of the junk yard from a 97' zj. And its worked great.

Everything that I need seems to be there as far as brackets, just empty slots.

As long as this month of non stop research isnt wrong, I think ive got a pretty good understanding so far

I will keep the posting updated with changes

Jeeps are built not bought right!?
znm1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I believe you will need the entire 4x4 transmission as I believe the tailshafts are different. Also, I don't know about the 42RE, but the 4L30E from Scott's truck had an entirely different case design from the 4x4 version. I believe this may also be true of the 42RE.

If you're buying a whole donor, just go ahead and pull everything of value off. You won't be getting any of that money back when you scrap it, might as well sell parts you don't need, and it pays to be prepared if you do need the transmission et cetera.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

why would you need the rear axle schizo? 2wd and 4x4 jeeps all got the same rear axle, dana 35 (unless it was a 96+ v8 with the 44a)
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I believe you will need the entire 4x4 transmission as I believe the tailshafts are different. Also, I don't know about the 42RE, but the 4L30E from Scott's truck had an entirely different case design from the 4x4 version. I believe this may also be true of the 42RE.

If you're buying a whole donor, just go ahead and pull everything of value off. You won't be getting any of that money back when you scrap it, might as well sell parts you don't need, and it pays to be prepared if you do need the transmission et cetera.
Hang on let me find you the link I read. And im not getting the whole donor. Just the parts from it, Its sitting in a junk yard
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by znm1994 View Post

Hang on let me find you the link I read. And im not getting the whole donor. Just the parts from it, Its sitting in a junk yard
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...way!!!-writeup

Heres the link
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Well follow the writeup if it's there.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

My conversion is complete!
Jeep runs great, all I need to do now is find out why my linkage wont shift the transfer case, I think im missing a bracket, and I need to get 2 more driveshaft bolts for the front driveshaft. Im getting that stuff tomorrow and then everything should be done.
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Might just swap to a novak cable shifter, shifts way better than stock anyway.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

well, you better get to changing your jeep info!

can you give a rough guestimate on the cost and man hours?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
well, you better get to changing your jeep info!

can you give a rough guestimate on the cost and man hours?
Cost was roughly 750. 400 for t case and driveshafts and front axle, and 300 for transmission then I spent about 40 on fluids.
Man hours ha, well I didnt have a transmission jack, that would of saved me atleast 2 hours. But id say about a day and a half to swap the transmission hook up linkage driveshaft and all that, then 2 days for the front axle swap. Just because I went through and changed all the components. Ball joints tie rods ext.

Cant wait to get the last little things I need tomorrow and take it out this weekend!
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Might just swap to a novak cable shifter, shifts way better than stock anyway.
Alright ill look into it thanks!
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
znm1994
1996 ZJ 

Front driveshaft in and fixed the linkage.. tested it and my jeep did awesome. I was pretty suprised at how stong this set up is. 4x4 conversion was a success

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.