96 4.0 Crank but no Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 96 4.0 Crank but no Start

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

96 4.0 Crank but no Start

Hello all,

I recently replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, oil filter and oil change. After everything was put back together, the Jeep would turn over, but not crank. I feel it is the distributor/timing. The number one cylinder is at top dead center in the compression stroke. We indexed the new distributor. Once installed, the rotor was pointed at the 5 o'clock position. The bolt hole for the clamp lined up perfectly. There was fire and fuel, but still no start. Couldn't be more stumped.....any help is appreciated. Thanks

ryanfuscozj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

So would assume the 5 o'clock rotor position is pointed directly at the #1 cylinder cap contact? Did the new distributor come with a new cam sensor? If so maybe it's faulty and try changing it out with your old one which is easy enough. Is it throwing any codes? Maybe disconnect the neg terminal on the battery again and see if it doesn't reset the PCM to the new cam sensor before trying it with the old one.

Know when I changed out my 96 4.0 distributor with a new Remy w/cam sensor about a year ago I marked everything real good but sounds like you have it right.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
So would assume the 5 o'clock rotor position is pointed directly at the #1 cylinder cap contact? Did the new distributor come with a new cam sensor? If so maybe it's faulty and try changing it out with your old one which is easy enough. Is it throwing any codes? Maybe disconnect the neg terminal on the battery again and see if it doesn't reset the PCM to the new cam sensor before trying it with the old one.

Know when I changed out my 96 4.0 distributor with a new Remy w/cam sensor about a year ago I marked everything real good but sounds like you have it right.

Yes, the rotor is at the 5 o'clock position, pointing at the number one spark plug wire on the cap. We changed out the top black piece of the new distributor with the old one and still no luck. Reason for that was because with the new distributor we had no spark, but with the old one we had spark. No codes, and I have already tried disconnecting the negative terminal but still no luck. We've read forum after forum and have done everything they have said numerous times but nothing....
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfuscozj View Post
Yes, the rotor is at the 5 o'clock position, pointing at the number one spark plug wire on the cap. We changed out the top black piece of the new distributor with the old one and still no luck. Reason for that was because with the new distributor we had no spark, but with the old one we had spark. No codes, and I have already tried disconnecting the negative terminal but still no luck. We've read forum after forum and have done everything they have said numerous times but nothing....
Well that's strange the new distributor wouldn't provide a spark signal and sounds like it does have a bad cam sensor or wasn't installed correctly. What brand/model of distributor did you buy and where from? Why did you install a new distributor to begin with and was your battery disconnected before doing all this work? And as far as that goes your old cam sensor might be providing a spark signal but not be functioning correctly either.

Try the below cam sensor testing procedure and let us know what you find. For now don't remove the PCM connectors just yet and check mainly for voltage along with continuity on the ground wire (11c).
cam-postion-sensor-test-b-fsm-11-7-2012.jpg

Unread 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

fuel where? injectors or rail?

are injectors firing while cranking?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

We have decided after a few days of working on it to get it towed and professionally fixed. I bought the distributor from O'Reilly's and I'm pretty sure it is an OEM one, but not positive. Hopefully it is something fairly simple for them to fix because I don't have the time to work on it anymore with between work and school.
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Popped asd fuse?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Popped asd fuse?
No fuses were blown, in the fuse panel or box
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfuscozj View Post
We have decided after a few days of working on it to get it towed and professionally fixed. I bought the distributor from O'Reilly's and I'm pretty sure it is an OEM one, but not positive. Hopefully it is something fairly simple for them to fix because I don't have the time to work on it anymore with between work and school.
O'Reilly's doesn't sell OE distributors and you'd have to go to the dealer or a Mopar online site. Believe as soon as you found out it wasn't providing a spark signal correctly believe I would have returned/exchanged it for another one which works. Regardless, good luck and let us know what the mechanics find.

Unread 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
O'Reilly's doesn't sell OE distributors and you'd have to go to the dealer or a Mopar online site. Believe as soon as you found out it wasn't providing a spark signal correctly believe I would have returned/exchanged it for another one which works. Regardless, good luck and let us know what the mechanics find.
Well, it was a timing issue. They made the new distributor work, the timing was just a few degrees off so that caused it not to crank. Thanks for all the input everybody! Now time to deal with the next problem...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.