95 ZJ Wheel Finish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 ZJ Wheel Finish

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
jcollins
2005 KJ Liberty 

95 ZJ Wheel Finish

I just bought a 95 Limited. I love it so far. The only cosmetic thing thats I can find wrong with it is the finish on the wheels Does anybody know of a way to polish or restore this type of wheel without just buying a new set?

On-On
JCollins

jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
SET2JET

they look pretty bad... if they where mine i would use acid to finish off the clear coat and you might even get rrid of the lovely gold (i hated mine) then any wheel or aluminum polish will work and the longer you polish the better the finish... if you wanted you could sand them before polishing... just depends on what you really want personally i would buy new (or diff. wheels) but thats my .02
SET2JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Those wheels are in really bad shape. You can take the finish off like mentioned above or just pony up for some new ones.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
jcollins
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ouch! That's what I was afraid of. I kinda want to keep it looking stock since I already have a "project car". So I guess it's time to hit the yards! Thanks for your help guys!!

On-On
JCollins
Unread 03-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
dpierson

Keep an eye on ebay, you can pick up stock replacements for pretty cheap on occasion.

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
SET2JET

just try the acid what do you have to lose... you don't have to polish them... they will look better
Unread 03-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
jcollins
2005 KJ Liberty 

What kind of acid do you suggest? I'm kinda new to the acid thing....except for a couple of times in college (I tripped way too hard)
Unread 03-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
SET2JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins
What kind of acid do you suggest? I'm kinda new to the acid thing....except for a couple of times in college (I tripped way too hard)

trailmobile cleaner and brightener... i got mine from napa... if you go to autovalue they have a similar product not sure on the name... the acid is use for aliminum semi trailers
Unread 06-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
jcollins
2005 KJ Liberty 

So this past weekend I was REALLY bored and tried using the Aircraft Stripper on these wheels. HOLY CRAP that stuff is strong. The wheels look almost brand new now, minus the gold trim paint of course. I still have 2 more wheels to do and then I'll spray a clear coat over them. I'll post pics of the whole process this Monday.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.