95 zj transmission problems, need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 zj transmission problems, need help

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Jerbear0612
1995 ZJ 

95 zj transmission problems, need help

My 95 zj limited is having tranny problems. It'll shift from first to second, but once in second it won't shift anymore. It just stays in second and up the rpm's go. Any of you guys familiar with this problem? I only payed $400 for it so a complete shop rebuild at 2000+ dollars is kinda my last option. If it does need rebuilding is it simple enough that me and some buddies could get it done in my driveway? Thanks guys

Jerbear0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Jerbear0612
1995 ZJ 

Bump... Anybody?
Jerbear0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
97zjdriver
1997 ZJ 

i think there are sertin tools needed for the job. but ether a rebuild or a new trans. the transmissions aren't made to well from the factory.
97zjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Check the fluid when its warm and on a level surface. It should be red and not smell burnt. If it is not in good condition you can drop the tranny pan, change the filter and re-fill the fluid (run 1-3 quarts of fluid through with the pan off first).

If none of that helps, then you can go have the more expensive diagnostic work done. Don't go to a chain place, I found the shop that the local PD uses for all their tranny work and went there.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.