95 zj sputters when reach normal running temp?? help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 zj sputters when reach normal running temp?? help

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
josh95zj
1995 ZJ 

95 zj sputters when reach normal running temp?? help

i have a 95 zj 4.0 and i replaced the crank sensor cause it was randomly shutting off and not long after that was fixed and running great again it started sputtering when it gets to normal run temp. it doesn't die just sputters bad. if i hammer down all the way it clears up till i let off the gas. i cleaned the throttle body and the iac. i dont wanna just throw random sensors at it when i dont know what it is. any ideas?? i need help please. thanks

josh95zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Sounds like an o2 sensor to me. If you wish to replace it, give Kolak a pm.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

have you checked for any codes?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
josh95zj
1995 ZJ 

Yeah it's not throwing any codes except 12 battery disconnect last 50 starts.
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

my moneys on the O2 or the coil. mine didnt throw any codes when my O2 was bad, it takes alot for them to throw a code.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

also, check the wires going to the O2 senors, to see, if the plastic on the wires has been burnt or whatever and is shorting out ...

If I remember right, Ratmonkey found that on his ride once upon a time.

I do think that it would be throwing a code on that if so .

With luck, maybe the Rat will come out of the woodwork here and chime in ...
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Josh, I noticed you said this: "it started sputtering when it gets to normal run temp"

I have not slept well, for way too long, due to a death in the family.

But, if I remember right, isn't there something related to the cooling system, that does like a switch of the fuel ratio or something, as the motor warms up ???

Phit

Last edited by phitmein; 08-12-2010 at 02:13 AM..
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
alilredjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Josh, I noticed you said this: "it started sputtering when it gets to normal run temp"

I have not slept well, for way too long, due to a death in the family.

But, if I remember right, isn't there something relate to the cooling system, that does like a switch of the fuel ratio or something, as the motor warms up ???

Phit
I think you are speaking of the coolant temp sensor for the computer.Not the one for the guage. I used to think I was just getting watered down gas until I had that sensor replaced and then all was well.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

'92 WRANGLER, 2.5 Litre, 5 Speed, Rag Top, Superwinch LP8500, Cepek 130W Driving Lights, 31x10.50/AT with no lift, Of course! It rubs!
alilredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Thanks, alilredjeep, that is just what I was trying to remember ...

Lack of sleep sucks.

Phit
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
josh95zj
1995 ZJ 

I thought of the cts to but I went ahead and replaced the o2sensor to have it still doin the same thing. I think I'll try the cts cause it doesn't do it when it's cool.
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
thecooptn
1998 ZJ 

Hey all, not trying to jack this thread but I'm having the same issue today, my display is flashing bad coolant sensor and has for a while but I never had an issue till today, going to get it emission tested for new plates and it started sputtering when it got warm, it was also 103 degrees here today and I barely made it home. Where is the CTS for the computer and can you buy it at a auto parts store? Thanks COOP
thecooptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

the VIC display flashing coolant sensor bad is not the CTS, its actually the coolant level sensor in the coolant reservoir. check the connection to it and then replace if necessary.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
thecooptn
1998 ZJ 

Thanks freakinheep, I've been reading all night and seen the thread about the flashing display so I now know it's not related now. Tomorrow morning I will be looking at O2 sensors and wiring and the coil. If ANYONE has any other suggestions please chime in. I have to get this to the emission station tomorrow and get it tagged due to it being the only vehicle I have running, KINDA!!!! LOL COOP
thecooptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
alilredjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh95zj View Post
I thought of the cts to but I went ahead and replaced the o2sensor to have it still doin the same thing. I think I'll try the cts cause it doesn't do it when it's cool.
Mine didnt do it when the engine was cool either but since I was driving it to work daily on the same route, I began to notice that it would began to stumble and skip for a few seconds (and then run good again) about the same place or about 4 miles into the trip and the temp guage was just beginning to show about half way warm by the guage.
I went through this for over a year, thinking it was bad gas and buying bottle after bottle of gas dryer to make it stop stumbling.
It finally got to the point it wasn't drivable and I couldn't figure it out.
It wouldn't throw any codes I could work with so I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the CPS and the CTS.
Haven't had any problems since but it did confuse an ASE certified mechanic for awhile.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

'92 WRANGLER, 2.5 Litre, 5 Speed, Rag Top, Superwinch LP8500, Cepek 130W Driving Lights, 31x10.50/AT with no lift, Of course! It rubs!
alilredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Tell us more of what is going on, if you can, such as runs good until it gets hot ...

I think, what Freak was trying to tell you, was what that light was all about and a possible fix ...

He did not say, it's not your CTS, so don't rule that out ...

It can't hurt to check your coolant level too while you are at it.

Last edited by phitmein; 08-13-2010 at 02:12 AM..

Tags
4.0 , sputters , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.