'95 ZJ Front End Pop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '95 ZJ Front End Pop

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

'95 ZJ Front End Pop

I drove my ZJ for the second time since I bought it a few months ago (working on repairing a broken door latch) and I noticed a pretty serious noise.

Under heavy acceleration off the line a loud pop comes from the right front. It only does this off the line 1/2 throttle or more and the pop only occurs once.

Any ideas on what I should check?

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2" lift, 31's, V8, NP242...
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Stock, 230K miles.
ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Check the front suspension first. Have someone turn the wheels back and forth and visually inspect for movement in the upper/lower TB. Also shake the front end from side to side....any popping? Make sure to also check the TRE's & SB bushings. Will this pop reoccur if you turn the wheel back and forth while idling ? If there were multiple pops it could be another issue.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

CV joint , little doubt from the descrption , heard it a zillion times on FWD cars
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
CV joint , little doubt from the descrption , heard it a zillion times on FWD cars
If a CV joint is bad isn't the boot ripped, or is that just sometimes?

Thanks for your help guys, I will check the suspension and the CV tomorrow, it is cold and rainy today
Unread 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alright guys, i'm resurrecting a thread I forgot about. I still need some help on this, it is pretty much the only problem my Jeep has right now.

Anyway, the popping has gotten much worse. I made a trip to the sand dunes(5 hour drive one way) a while back and on the way there it got so bad that is was popping under even the slightest throttle. But, then later after the Jeep cooled down, I got in to go to the dunes and it was back to only popping under heavy acceleration. Does this make any sense?

So, that got me thinking, maybe it is the transfer case? It has leaked a lot of fluid in the last two week(I have not been driving it), it binds pretty bad especially after long drives... Has anybody heard of a NP249 doing this?

The suspension seems tight, control arms are not visually bad or loose at all. I changed the front right CV joint and it almost seemed like the noise went to the other side but I can't really tell, it is too loud. I also replaced the track bar with a good one.

Annnddd, the drive shaft feels tight, but I suppose the CV could be bad in the driveshaft.

I don't know guys, i'm stumped... Any ideas?
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

It now seems that there is slack in the chain inside the TC.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Your t-case is a 249 , very common are worn VC's . When worn , this sealed clutch pack binds when warmed up . Because your issue seems effected by temp . I got to say that's your issue . Mechanical gears , joints etc etc when bad , don't change symptoms .

You have a late production 95 if you have a CV frt drive shaft , it wouldn't surprise me if the popping is from that from what you say . It's symptoms are effected by the power transfer via your worn VC .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, i'm out of town right now without the Jeep but when I get home I will pull the front driveshaft. If the noise is still there then I know what it is.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.