95 tranny freshening up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 tranny freshening up

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

95 tranny freshening up

got a 95 with the 5.2 auto. its got about 230xxx on it so its certainly nearing the end of its life, but i have had a problem for a while with the motor. I changed the cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs and it happened either right before or after i changed them. i cant remember. but anyway the motor hesitates when i drive it calmly. if i give it a reasonable amount of gas the motor runs great and no problems. it hesitates and bucks when i keep it at a steady highway speed and right before the tranny shifts. it acts like it starts to run very lean like the 02 sensor or something is reading wrong and telling the motor to run lean. i ended up changing the plug wires like 2 or 3 times and nothing changed. checked everything as well as firing order of plug wires- all good. what would cause hesitation and bucking at steady highway speeds and right before the tranny shifts? it makes it terrible to drive any kind of distance and no one offered any good advice a year ago when i asked this same question. does it sound like a tranny issue or motor? i know it seems like the motor but im just not familiar with trannys enough to rule that out. thanks

yamazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

That definitely could be an o2 sensors. If you replace them, make sure to get the mopar ones.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
dellis
1998 ZJ 

When you accelerate, the computer will suspend the readings from the O2 sensor specifically to give you power with a richer mix. Then, when you let off of the gas and cruise, you will once more be using the information from the O2 sensor to regulate the air/fuel mixture.

So, yes, the O2 sensor could be your problem.

A quick way to diagnose is to disconnect your upstream O2 sensor and drive. It will throw a code but the computer will be using default values. If you notice that the problem disappears, then replace your O2 sensor. If not, then look elsewhere.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Only one O2 on the 93-95's. Get a Mopar or NTK sensor.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

whats the deal with using off brand o2 sensors? i was looking at bosch. i dont foresee this jeep running many more years here so im just trying to get the issue resolved cheaply. and buying a dealer part is never cheap
yamazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazinger View Post
whats the deal with using off brand o2 sensors? i was looking at bosch. i dont foresee this jeep running many more years here so im just trying to get the issue resolved cheaply. and buying a dealer part is never cheap
The aftermarket O2 sensors are more universal and not ZJ specific which can cause them to act like they are bad right out of the box.

Some info here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...506-a-1321465/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

The thing to remember about ALL Jeeps is that even the Worst maintainer can keep these things going for over 500,000 Miles. Course, at that point your replacing the Drivers seat for Padding issues and realize that the floor under it has rusted out. This is from personal experience in Missouri where MODOT puts Salt on the roads. When it DOES rust out on you, get some plate steel and weld it on. Don't know how to weld? Watch some youtube vids and go for it! You can't screw too much up with a vehicle this old anyways.

Off to the JY for some more parts!
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.