95 orvis front end whining - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 orvis front end whining

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vforce1 View Post
rebuilding wont be a problem so long as i don't need any special tools and or don't need to re-calibrate the gears.
What we are trying to say is rebuilding requires special tools so you can recalibrate the gears.

Tell the salvage yard the year/make/model and add it's got 3.73s. They should sell you the correct axle, and remove it for you.

You want to be sure the attachment for the front driveshaft is the same, there's 2 styles. A good junkyard should know this, but you still need to double check.

Swapping an axlehousing is a big job on the surface, but not difficult if you read up.

Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

it has to be same year make and model? i dont think there are alot of orvis jeeps in the junk yard. i need to know if i can pick one from a limited or something or does it have to be from another orvis?
vforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

If you get an axle , get the driveshaft too and all will be good

I still suggest a rebuild , it's a good chance the new axle may have the same issue . Odds are 50/50
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

il take those odds , axle is 50 at harry"s but that still didn't answer my question
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

All you need to match is a 3:73 , and get the matching front driveshaft from the donor . You have the year that some things were changed including the front axle . Some have a short pinion , some had a long pinion . I think you have the short since you have the CV driveshaft . Personally , I'd get a 93-95 with a u-joint driveshaft from the same donor jeep . It will bolt right up .

You could measure and get the CV style if you want

Good luck
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

well this guy isnt too far from me tell me which one of these i can pick up http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/3640145779.html
DANA 30 Front Axle with 3.73 Gears from 96 Grand Cherokee (CV Style Yoke) would fit no?
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

They all appear to be the short pinion . The middle would be a match if you have that same short pinion . There's not much difference in length , under 1" . Measure from the raised portion on the top towards the back on the housing . Your measurement will be in the 2-3 " range . It's the only one with the proper ratio too and your only option out of all 3 . Hope this helps cause I gotta go watch a movie with the wife while I still have one , lol .
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

ok thanks for the info i guess il go pick it up tomorrow enjoy the movie. il let u know what happens tomorrow with pics

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.