95 orvis front end whining - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 orvis front end whining

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

95 orvis front end whining

its the whine that u hear when u back up at a high rate of speed, suspecting front axle/drive shaft area. is there a way to make it stop whining or should i just disconnect the drive shaft?

it has a 3" body lift 31s on 15s flow master single to dual and a holly throttle body
5.2 version.. just changed oil used synthetic valvalean with fram filter
miles are 220k on the dot

vforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

When does it whine , 1st gear only or constant at higher speeds ? Video might help

NO such thing as a body lift on a Grand Cherokee , it's a unibody .

Fram filters are the bottom of the barrel .

Pic of that TB would be interesting to see , I didn't know they were interchangeable
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Holly is the OEM throttle body maker...
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Orubatto

Probably your differential, but I could be wrong. You should search the forums or google for posts regarding similar issues.
Orubatto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

il post a video and pics with more details in a few hours gotta go to dmv...

ads for lift i meant to say lift bricks, and newfieZJ , that is exactly whats going on, the higher the speeds the louder the sound. until i let off the gas then it stops
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vforce1 View Post
il post a video and pics with more details in a few hours gotta go to dmv...

ads for lift i meant to say lift bricks, and newfieZJ , that is exactly whats going on, the higher the speeds the louder the sound. until i let off the gas then it stops
Most likely , pinion bearings . Pretty common issue
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

can u provide a link so i can order them? i cant stand the noise

will this one do?http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8_181960_5016_
20130311_212212.jpg   20130311_212226.jpg  
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

there is a leak coming from the axle where the drive shaft connects, seal must be broken but it still has the grease in it. also my control arm broke on drivers side....
im just wondering just how much its gonna cost me to fix this thing...the trans is starting to slip from 2nd to 3rd and some times jerks when u floor it but the front end whining is so bad i cant her the trans shifting
what do u guys think i should do and if anyone is near NJ let me know
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Most vehicles whine when you back up at a high rate of speed. The gears are cut/beveled for forward motion and when run in reverse will whine like a "straight cut" gear. Making that noise moving forward is a sign the diff needs rebuilt/replaced, especially if you've been driving it like that a while

BTW you don't have a body lift

good luck with the truck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

im new to this lift and i dont know what lift it is, but i do see rubber spacers above the springs they look like 3-4", i have already come to that conclusion and would like to know whats the cheapest method of doing this..
EDIT: i would also need to know exactly what parts i would need
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vforce1 View Post
im new to this lift and i dont know what lift it is, but i do see rubber spacers above the springs they look like 3-4", i have already come to that conclusion and would like to know whats the cheapest method of doing this..
EDIT: i would also need to know exactly what parts i would need
Search you'll find so much good info
xrunndonex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Your requests aren't very clear

Parts to rebuild your differential? Consider looking at a website like Randy's Ring & Pinion and checking out the content of their rebuild kits.
That will give you a good idea what's involved.

Setting up a diff is not a beginner mechanic's job. That doesn't mean you can't learn it, but consider a complete junkyard axle instead
It'll save you hundreds over a rebuild and is actually easier.

The spring spacers are a budget boost lift. The FAQ section is worth an hour of your time.

You might also consider running the truck without the front drive shaft.
A dry U joint can make noises that could be confused with the diff, especially if you have the CV style.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

see i asked before about removing the drive shaft and people tell me that it will have bad problems like the rolling while parked(e-break not working), and or the power not being distributed evenly
if however it doesn't affect the above i would gladly take out the front drive shaft, i would much rather use a junkyard axle like the above post suggests however IM NOT SURE of WHAT PART TO GET, im sorry no one can understand what im trying to say(I got hit in the head 1 too many times lets leave it at that). now i need to know if there are different types of axles and which is the right one for my jeep. i dont want to have to drive 150 miles to harry's u pick it only to by the wrong part on the jeep that i need to fix..the useless Haynes manual is garbage and no useful info can be found there... just general knowledge that everyone already knows..

i did read the FAQs and i dont understand some of them. im one notch below the "beginner mechanic" status. but i am willing to learn.
also worth mentioning that i dont have any tools. just the basic crap
and its leaking alot seen in last pic

i will post picks in a few
20130321_184140.jpg   20130321_184201.jpg   20130321_184245.jpg   20130321_184300.jpg   20130321_184451.jpg  

20130321_184500.jpg   20130321_184350.jpg  
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Power distribution isn't an issue , not sure where that myth comes from . I ran mine w/o a front shaft with no issues except rolling in park on a slope . Then I fixed my VC and haven't taken it out since .

You have a late model 1995 by looking at the CV style drive shaft so you would need the same style for a bolt up replacement . You also have a 3:73 gear ratio most common in the V8 , not the 4.0 although some did have it too . There are 2 types in our grands , long and short pinions . I can't tell which you have and your year was a change over so because of the CV shaft , I'm thinking short . If you can find a long pinion (u-joint), they are stronger , but grab the front DS also

For the work involved , I would suggest rebuilding so you don't get another bum axle . The kit is like this one but make sure it is specific to your jeep http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-1...aring-kit.aspx .

Setting up diffs isn't really something you want to take on . Not saying it's not possible to do , just technical . Check at your local gear shops for a quote , US pricing is not too bad from others I have seen on here .

Hope this helps .

BTW , if you need a free FSM , google it or PM me for a link
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
vforce1
1995 ZJ 

rebuilding wont be a problem so long as i don't need any special tools and or don't need to re-calibrate the gears. i would actually like to put in the time and work into it
what is the brand of my axle ? i still need to know it. the kit u linked happens to be on sale and if thats the correct one il order it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.