95 not engaging 4 lo.. selector lever has not tug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 not engaging 4 lo.. selector lever has not tug

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
dereksmith667

95 not engaging 4 lo.. selector lever has not tug

I haven't checked my linkages yet, but I am curious is a 249 tc vacuum operated? I just noticed the problem today.. I am hoping it is a linkage, and not a bad line.. I do notice a vaccum line to my front diff. So unfortunately I'm assuming it is vaccum operated.. I notice the line keeps popping out, can I get that fitting somewhere?I may have answered my question, but I am asking for some experienced advice lol!

dereksmith667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

All ZJ transfer cases are mechanically shifted no vacuum operation. The tube on your front axle is the diff breather tube to vent any pressure from building up in the axle.

Check your shift linkage, the torque shaft bushing is a common failure and it wont shift properly if its not in place. In the pic below you can see the body side bushing has fallen out of place on the torque shaft part of the transfer case shift linkage. Also check to make sure there are little green bushings in all 4 of the connections where the shift linkage meet the tabs all located under the Jeep, one on the bottom of the transfer case shifter, two tabs on the torque shaft and one on the shift tab on the transfer case should all have little green bushings in them too.

98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Put a small hose clamp on the hose off the front diff , readjust where it clips on the side of the factory air box to give it some slack . Adjust/inspect linkage as said .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
All ZJ transfer cases are mechanically shifted no vacuum operation. The tube on your front axle is the diff breather tube to vent any pressure from building up in the axle.

Check your shift linkage, the torque shaft bushing is a common failure and it wont shift properly if its not in place. In the pic below you can see the body side bushing has fallen out of place on the torque shaft part of the transfer case shift linkage. Also check to make sure there are little green bushings in all 4 of the connections where the shift linkage meet the tabs all located under the Jeep, one on the bottom of the transfer case shifter, two tabs on the torque shaft and one on the shift tab on the transfer case should all have little green bushings in them too.
x2 he explained it well. i would have just said 'check the linkage'

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.