95 jeep will not go into OD - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 jeep will not go into OD

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #31
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

There is only one speed sensor down there. It comes off the transfer case on a 4wd, it comes off the transmission tailshaft housing if 2wd.

Clear and rerun the codes, see if 55 comes back. That indicates the computer is not reading speed signal. Meaning either you didn't engage the gear properly when the adapter was disturbed, you have another bad sensor, or there's a bad wire.

Did you actually see the speedometer gear when changing the sensor? if so I'm betting it's an engagement problem. You have to kind of twist the unit to engage, then tighten.

On mine, once the sensor started working I gained overdrive, but the speedo head was messed up and only read speed when it felt like it. No code at that point but had to replace the speedo head to get it showing speed. Makes me wonder if the bad speed sensor plays havoc with a speedometer head.

good luck

Edit- I am a *******. 55 code is "end of codes", had them mixed up. Anytime you have a code you actually have two, with 55 sort of telling you the diagnostic worked & is over. The first code is what you're looking to repeat.

Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #32
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

No, there are two speed sensors. The output speed sensor for the transmission as well as the vehicle speed sensor. He apparently replaced the output speed sensor.
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #33
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

The VSS on the transfer case controls the speedometer and sends speed signal to the computer which in turn allows overdrive. They are one and the same on this truck.

If there is another speed sensor down there, which I don't think there is, it's function is not related to the speedometer or the computer reading vehicle speed. Which is the root problem here. Good luck to the OP.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #34
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
The VSS on the transfer case controls the speedometer and sends speed signal to the computer which in turn allows overdrive. They are one and the same on this truck.

If there is another speed sensor down there, which I don't think there is, it's function is not related to the speedometer or the computer reading vehicle speed. Which is the root problem here. Good luck to the OP.

Well think again, because you're wrong. There are two speed sensors as I said before.
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
jherz07
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for all the help i'm still trying to fix it. keep it coming
jherz07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Which sensor did you replace?

Output speed sensor:

Vehicle speed sensor:

The VSS in the transfer case does indeed control the speedometer. There are different positions that the sensor can be installed, it needs to be clocked correctly. Try removing the sensor and rotating it 90 degrees, then reinstalling. Repeat until it works or you're out of positions.
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
jherz07
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1995 jeep OD issues

I've replaced the input & output sensors, dropped the tranny pan & replaced the governor pressure solenoid & I order the governor pressure sensor. But after putting the solenoid in, the OD light still won't turn off or engage into OD. Any more ideas? I really appreciate all the help!
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #38
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Did you replace the OD solenoid or just the governor pressure sensor and solenoid? Is your speedometer working? OD won't work if the speedometer isn't.
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #39
jherz07
1995 XJ Cherokee 

did not change od sen. changed governer pressure solenoid and ordered pressure sen and i changed od button on dash speedometer is working. still no od
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #40
SouthSeaPirate

My OD issue was fixed when I replaced my TPS. If you have a multimeter, give it a test. Couldnt hurt. GL
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.