'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny odd issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny odd issue.

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
krisjeep

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny odd issue.

Alright everyone couple of issues that i am just stumped on. Even after reading most of the forums. Some symptoms match. Others are close, but nothing seems exact. Please help to the best of your ability. Thanks in advance

MY jeep: 95 5.2L engine, Limited edition.

Transmission, I have not actually read the plate on it yet, but my shifter reads, All wheel drive, Neutral and 4 low.

Problem: When stopped at a red light sometimes the transmission engages and bogs the motor down, but then disengages right away (never stalls surprisingly, happens once a day).

Sometimes (random and rare, maybe once a week) i will go to hit the gas and the transmission will not engage, as the revs come down it snaps into gear at about 2k and CLUNK. I get a nice whiplash and gives me a nice jump.

No slipping between gears so i do not think its a bad tranny. However, as i am cruising at 70, it will shift up and down as if it cant tell whether i am on the gas or off it.

Ideas? suggestions? i have replaced the filter and oil. recently no change in the problem. I have no problem going to the junkyard and finding parts. Any suggestion will be taken seriously.

Last edited by krisjeep; 04-06-2009 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: fixed light issue
krisjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
caljeepman

I don't think this suggestion explains all of your problems.. Certainly not the one with the tranny not engaging until 2000rpm.... but some of them could be caused by the throttle position sensor.. I had the downshift problem with my 97 at about 65mph, caused by a bad tps sensor. bad output from the tps can cause erratic shifting, sometime caused by a bad spot that will be seen at a particular throttle position. Good luck in fixing your problem. please let the forum know what the eventual fix is.
caljeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
MN_NATV
1995 ZJ 

TPS won't affect transmission engagement on a 95, its a 46RH trans, its hydraulically controlled, except for overdrive and torque convertor lockup. My trans was doing some of the same things that yours is doing now, and then it lost all forward ranges, gave me an excuse to built up the trans with some stronger parts.
MN_NATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
krisjeep

So all these posts i am reading about tcm modules, and speed sensors/tranny sensors can't cause this??

The erratic shifting seems to be electrical common problem on the I6, any common problems on the 5.2??? .
Any suggestions before i rebuild a whole tranny?

The dropping into gear at 2k is so rare its ridiculous. i just stated it cause it does happen. The most annoying problem is searching for gears.

Thanks,

Kris
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
krisjeep

Ok, let me reword this a bit....

What electronically affects the transmission on a 95 46rh trans?

Basically what i want to do is replace these parts before i give up and spend 2k on a tranny. (just a guesstimate)

I have seen several postings about tcm's, tps, o2 sensors, and such. However, these postings were for 6 cycl and the wj, which i am sure is different.
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
indianajeep

2005 WK 

try the valve body, governor solenoid and kickdown solenoid. You can find a remanufactured valve body on ebay with all these parts included for around $260.00 with a $150.00 core charge(be sure to specify all these parts to the supplier). I would try that first. If nothing else, you can put the new parts in a different tranny from a salvage yard if yours is totally shot.
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
baxy

get the pan off and see if there is metal collected on the magnet, sounds a bit like the torque converter has failed
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
MN_NATV
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajeep View Post
try the valve body, governor solenoid and kickdown solenoid. You can find a remanufactured valve body on ebay with all these parts included for around $260.00 with a $150.00 core charge(be sure to specify all these parts to the supplier). I would try that first. If nothing else, you can put the new parts in a different tranny from a salvage yard if yours is totally shot.
The 46rh does not have a governor solenoid or a kickdown solenoid. The only thing electronically controlled in the 46rh is overdrive and torque convertor lockup. Heres a couple of pics of my 46rh valve body showing the OD/TCC solenoids on the valve body. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are all hydraulically controlled. It's a 5.2, not s 4.0 with a 42re.

Unread 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
baxy

shift kit and sonnax pressure reg valve good upgrades
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
MN_NATV
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
shift kit and sonnax pressure reg valve good upgrades
Don't forget the Sonnax manual valve. Stock on the left, Sonnax PR valve and manual valve on the right.

Unread 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
baxy

I usually use the transgo or superior kits on the dodge rear drives
sure cure from sonnax are awesome kits but about 10 times the cost of the others just blows the budget on rebuilt units, for not much better performance
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Rockdaddy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

my 93 4.0 was doing the same thing. felt like touque conv was locking up and drop into gear from a stop. I found that i was down a quart of ATF. topped it off and problem has gone. the odd thing is that i cant find a leak?
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdaddy View Post
my 93 4.0 was doing the same thing. felt like touque conv was locking up and drop into gear from a stop. I found that i was down a quart of ATF. topped it off and problem has gone. the odd thing is that i cant find a leak?
I found that same problem in my 94 5.2. i would go from reverse to drive and it would stall, i added a quart and the problem goes away, and every so often it comes back but i cant find a leak either.
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

He should start with the basics, check fluid level, if that's o.k., drop pan and check for metal crap and then check you filter.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
krisjeep

I am pretty good with cars, but i have never taken apart an automatic tranny before. Anything i should know? Really the first one i have ever owned.

Oil is at the right level,i'll double check it today. No metal in the oil. the biggest problem is shifting. The others i could live with till they cause problems.
How much of this can be done without dropping the whole tranny?

Past few days seems to be getting a little worse, it seems its at a higher rpm, and having a hard time finding overdrive.

MN natv thank you so much for pictures. helps a lot. I assume those pieces fall down after undoing the bolts above the filter??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.