95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering wheel shakes at 60+ mph and makes noise when braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering wheel shakes at 60+ mph and makes noise when braking

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
ness12

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering wheel shakes at 60+ mph and makes noise when braking

I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4wd, v8. We recently had a tune up, well apparently the mechanic didn't tighten the oil filter enough and the pressure popped the oil filter out. We took it back and they replaced the oil filter and oil. When the filter first fell out, we heard a popping noise and it felt like we ran something over, (we thought we ran over the oil filter) although we didn't. Now the steering wheel shakes when driving at 60 mph and above. Also, when applying the breaks it makes a noise, likes its rubbing on something. It sounds like the tire has a bubble in it, a "tittie". I also hear the noise when I'm going slow, under 20 mph. I don't hear it above 20 mph except when I'm breaking. I was told to get the tires balanced, which i did. The noise was less frequent, but its still there. Its loudest when applying the breaks going under 20 mph.

HELP PLEASE!!!

ness12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
cwness
1995 ZJ 

I had that happen and it was the front steering stabilizer shock on the steering on the front. I think I got one for 25 bucks. Did it myself just 2 bolts. You'll
need a big hammer to one of them off.

CW
cwness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Im thinking steering stabalizer, or steering linkage has slop in it and needs replaced

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Have you checked your rotors and pads?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
ness12

Not yet, someone mentioned the rotors and pads. Getting that done as soon as possible. I was also told that it could be the ball joints or U Joints.... I'm so frustrated. They were telling me that it could snap and flip the jeep, I'm so scared to drive now.
ness12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

You need to have a competent shop drive and inspect it, which will include removing the front wheels. Could be a dozen different causes, some scarier than others.

Don't let anyone diagnose it on the internet based on what you've typed here. That's all guesswork. If you're not going to pull the front wheels yourself to get a good look, then go with whatever a professional says.

Choose your shop wisely so you can trust what they say. That means you're not using a tire shop or a dealership or a national muffler chain. You're using a locally owned, locally run shop.

When the filter fell off, how was your truck towed back to the shop? Flatbed or standard wrecker? If it was towed with 2 wheels on the ground, the tow could've screwed up something in the frontend (like a broken CV joint, etc) which would link the oil filter to the vibration even though they're unrelated events.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.