95 Grand Cherokee wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 Grand Cherokee wont start

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
RickASolis
1995 ZJ 

95 Grand Cherokee wont start

Hello everybody, new guy here. Hope to be here for a while.

Got a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4, 4.0, Automatic, 175,000 miles. Car ran good and always started up. I was on the highway one afternoon and the car just quit running. Got it home and figured out that I had no spark or fuel pressure. Fuel Pump Relay and ASD relay were clicking very rapidly. Turns out, the oxygen sensor harness melted together on the exhaust manifold. I repaired the harness, and the rapidly clicking relays stopped. The fuel pump began working normally, but it still will not start. Pulled codes, and im getting codes 12,33,23,24. Mostly sensor codes, but I dont beleive they are sensors that will cause it not to start. When I turn the key forward, I get power to the injectors and coils for about a second, but when I try to start, they dont receive any power.

I figured the wiring harness burned up the ECM, so I bought a good used one (Heard the car run), with identical years and part numbers (56028026), but nothing else changed.

Even took the ECM harness out of the car and checked for any melted together wires, and didn't see anything. Swapped good relays for the ASD and Fuel Pump, didnt work.

Im out of ideas, maybe Crank Sensor. I hear its common.

Thanks again everybody.

RickASolis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Check fuses in PDC. The O2 sensor short generally blows a fuse.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickASolis View Post
Hello everybody, new guy here. Hope to be here for a while.

Got a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4, 4.0, Automatic, 175,000 miles. Car ran good and always started up. I was on the highway one afternoon and the car just quit running. Got it home and figured out that I had no spark or fuel pressure. Fuel Pump Relay and ASD relay were clicking very rapidly. Turns out, the oxygen sensor harness melted together on the exhaust manifold. I repaired the harness, and the rapidly clicking relays stopped. The fuel pump began working normally, but it still will not start. Pulled codes, and im getting codes 12,33,23,24. Mostly sensor codes, but I dont beleive they are sensors that will cause it not to start. When I turn the key forward, I get power to the injectors and coils for about a second, but when I try to start, they dont receive any power.

I figured the wiring harness burned up the ECM, so I bought a good used one (Heard the car run), with identical years and part numbers (56028026), but nothing else changed.

Even took the ECM harness out of the car and checked for any melted together wires, and didn't see anything. Swapped good relays for the ASD and Fuel Pump, didnt work.

Im out of ideas, maybe Crank Sensor. I hear its common.

Thanks again everybody.
Crank sensor would be my guess as well. It's wire is also close to the manifold and could have damage
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
RickASolis
1995 ZJ 

All the fuses checked out good via a testlight. The wires going to the crank sensor have been checked with a ohm meter and all have continuity.
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

theres also the camshaft sensor which is under the distributor cap which can cause issues. i know mine sat for two weeks until i replace the crankshaft position sensor and then it fired right up. thats the extent of my knowledge on running issues hope you get it fixed
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
RickASolis
1995 ZJ 

Been a while

Been a while, but I have an update. I have replaced the ECM with a matching computer. Still no start. I was at the pick a part yard for something else, and decided to pick up a crank sensor from a wrecked car and see if that would get it to start up since it was only a dollar. Installed the used sensor and it would start, then immediately die. After much troubleshooting, I found out that the fuses for the security system were removed. I put some fuses in them, and the security system was going off (lights flashing, security light flashing). After disabling it, the car started up and finally idled. We drove it around and on the highway and everything seemed OK. I was behind the jeep in another car following. Out of nowhere, the muffler on the car literally exploded and the car quit running. Never seen anything like that before. I wasn't in the jeep but im assuming it backfired. The car wouldn't start for a while, just cranked over. Eventually it started running and we tried to drive it home, but it quit again. By this time it was pouring rain and I was tired. We left it and had it towed back.

When I got it back, of course it fired right up. Idled good, had a occasional miss, but ran ok. Drove it around for a bit and it died and refused to start again. Ran a scan on codes. Got a code 11, a code for AC clutch circuit, and a coolant temp sensor code. Since I got a code 11, i figured it was the used crank sensor, so I went and bought a new one, and it still wouldn't start, just turned over.

I replaced the cam sensor (or distributor pickup) and it fired up again. Drove it around. It dies whenever it wants to, and when it does, the RPMS SLOWLY drop down, while they drop down occasionally it will come back to life and run again. Im truly lost at this point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.