95 grand cherokee od light stuck in third - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 grand cherokee od light stuck in third

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
terry3blue

95 grand cherokee od light stuck in third

Ive had the governor switches replaced, but heres the problem. when its cold like 25 or below when you crank it in the mornings the od light stays on and the trans is stuck in third after you drive it about 10 miles and cut the vehicle of the light goes off. It wont come on every morning. Ive also noticed that if i leave the heat selecter switch on it does it all the time, but if the selector switch is in the off position it dont do it as much, sounds crazy i know but it semms to be involved. Its a 95 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0 and 4 wheel drive. Im new here and i have searched the forums but havnt found anything, im running out of options so thanks for any help.

terry3blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

i doubt that the heater control has anything to do with the overdrive circuit. The od switch goes directly to the PCM. The switch is a momentary type, hit it once, it turns off the over drive seleniod & turns on the lamp. Hit it again tells PCM to re-energize the selenoid & turns off the lamp. I would suspect the switch. Pull the switch & check for continuity it should only read when pressed. I had a car that when it got extremely cold the horn would turn on. Steering wheel horn switch pad was bad.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

could be a short in the wiring, sounds like the gov pressure sensor/temp sensor is bad though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
terry3blue

if it was the switch wont it still have 1st and 2nd gear, it only has 3rd when light is on.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

When the OD light comes on can you turn it back off when it is stuck in third?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
terry3blue

no it stays on till i drive about 10 minutes then pull over and cut the jeep off and crank it back up and it wont be on then.
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Its in limp mode. You will not have any gear other than 3rd. Sounds like it needs to warm up before you can drive it.

Driving it while in limp mode will kill the transmission very quickly. Find the problem before you need a new tranny.

Unread 01-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
terry3blue

ive tried warming up for 15 or 20 mjnutes but it didnt help either, my tranny mechanic said the tranny fine, hes one of the best in my area. i was wondering if it could be in iginition switch. Its gremlin, has to be.
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

warming up the engine doesn't do anything for the transmission, which is what i was saying needed to warm up before functioning right. i think you have a bad gov pressure/temperature sensor(same unit).

try warming up the jeep while the tranny is in neutral and see if that does anything for you(the tranny won't circulate fluid unless it is in a drive gear or neutral).

Unread 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
baxy

the software that controls the transmission is programmed not to allow 4th gear if it thinks the trans is too cold

common complaint when I worked at the dealership with jeeps and dakotas

I'm sure there is a TSB explaining it , also chrysler offers a software update which will allow 4th when it is cold but it comes with a warning of possible trans damage
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

I believe it goes by coolant temperature though before shifting into 4th. It gets real cold here as well and i notice this all of the time but the light never comes on, it will just act like the OD is off until the coolant reaches a certain temp. I am guessing around 120ish. And the OP does not have 1-2 shifts, only 3 until warm.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
terry3blue

tranny guy pulled codes today it had for gov sol, torq convert circuit, od circuit. I think im haven a problem with the power supply feeding these switches but i dont know where the supply comes from like ign switch, pcm, or tcm.
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
terry3blue

respond to above about o/d waitiung till its warm. I dont have 1st or 2nd either till it warms up.
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry3blue View Post
respond to above about o/d waitiung till its warm. I dont have 1st or 2nd either till it warms up.
then you have a bigger problem.

check the relays in the power distribution center.

check the wiring to the main tranny plug for any worn through wires.

after that you can start digging into the transmission valve body.

Unread 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
terry3blue

thanks for the help i have a feeling its going to take a while to trace this one down, but atleast i have a starting point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.