95 grand cherokee leaking radiator fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 grand cherokee leaking radiator fluid

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
grantr
1995 ZJ 

95 grand cherokee leaking radiator fluid

i have been very slowly leaking radiator fluid over the winter but only recently has it been nice enough outside to locate where the leak was coming from. the leak is coming from somewhere i cant physically see, but it appears to be from the gasket/seal nearest to the lower radiator hose/outlet. the fluid is running down the outlet hose but is coming from the underside of the seal between the outlet and engine block directly behind the fan.

basically it looks like a giant pain to remove and repair the gasket properly. it is a pretty slow leak so i am wondering if any kind of stop leak or similar product could be used. or really any other advice. im ok with taking a gamble and using something, but id really like to know any opinions. its a beater car that i am starting to have to depend on so i am fixing it up as best i can.

thanks!

grantr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
grantr
1995 ZJ 

i just found out that it is a leak somewhere from the water pump. im assuming that it is still the seal between the pump and the engine block. also i have read that there is a weap hole on the waterpump? im not sure if the waterpump is going bad or the gasket is.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Sure is, but I'd bet your water pump seal (internal) is whats going out. There's a weep hole on the bottom of the pump that will leak when the internal seal goes bad. You're probably looking at replacing the pump, but as a bonus, you'll get to change the seal behind it too.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Oh, and please fill out your profile, so we can give you better advice in the future, ie year, engine etc.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
L0G1K
1995 ZJ 

I' have a similar problem, I see prestone on the oil pan on the passenger side, however I can't see were it's leaking . It doesn't seem to be the water pump, as it's leaking closer to the engine than the pump. However I don't know how tick it is and how deep it connects to the engine so It might be my problem...
L0G1K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

@ LOG1K, your leak could be almost anywhere, as when running, the fan will put coolant all over the place. Check your rad hoses and clamps are good, frost plugs aren't leaking, check water pump and the short bypass hose right behind the water pump, on top of the engine. Your rad could be leaking, also check heater core hoses and clamps, as well as coolant over-flow tank and hose.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
L0G1K
1995 ZJ 

Except for the oil pan, we don't see coolant anywere else so It's defenetly not the rad or anything in the front. It looks to be located precisely on the passenger site of the engine since it leaks from there for about 5 minutes when the engine is turned off.
L0G1K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
grantr
1995 ZJ 

hey, thanks. after a closer look, the liquid is coming out of the weep hole. i bought a new water pump and am going to replace it soon. i haven't ever dealt with the serpentine belt or any of this stuff before, any advise?

cheers!
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you are ever trying to track down a small coolant leak I highly recommend renting (for free!) a coolant system pressure tester at any auto parts store. It lets you pressurize the system without the coolant getting hot. I was losing about a quart of coolant every three months but I couldn't see any leaks. I used the tester and found that a bunch of my hoses were seeping at the clamp and the water pump gasket was leaking a little bit. Turns out the PO had dropped the pump when they installed it and there was a divot in the sealing surface that kept the pump from seating. The same tester identified a marginal radiator cap. Now I don't lose a drop of coolant.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Changing the water pump on the 4.0 is a breeze. Take of the fan and shroud. Remove lower radiator hose and heater hose. Loosen the serpentine belt. Remove the four bolts to the block and the two to the PS bracket. Maneuver the pump around to get it out from behind the PS bracket while getting the heater hose pipe around the thermostat housing. Reverse to install. It's easier to do if you also remove the thermostat housing (replacing the thermostat is recommended) but not required.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
elkski
1993 ZJ 

ITS a Breeze...
Yes if you like coolant all over the place it is not to bad of a fix.. I owned a 97 4.0 for 200k miles and did a couple pumps... Seems to me there is a spike in coolant pressure after you shut off the engine and that weep hole is a tricky thing to see.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
grantr
1995 ZJ 

so now i am in the process of draining the radiator to change the pump right now and i thought it would be a good idea to flush the system while im at it, but i cant even physically see the engine block drain bolt. its cold out and going to be snowing again, so id like to get it done soon if possible.

-do i need to drain the engine block just to change the water pump? (or rather will draining from the bottom of the radiator remove enough coolant to change the water pump without spilling more?)

-can i do a full flush just using the radiator valve? (i would think so as long as i fill while its draining and let the engine run)

if i did flush it this way, would i fill the water into the reservoir or in through the radiator cap?

advise? thanks!
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

fill the coolant directly into the radiator.
If coolant looks fairly clean ,probably don't need to flush.
Just replacing the w pump you don't need to drain block.
Just be thankful that your blinker fluid is not leaking

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
grantr
1995 ZJ 

i replaced the water pump and all is well. the only thing is i was unsure how tight to tighten the belt. also now i am hearing a squeaking sound coming from somewhere along the belt. i dont think it could be the new pump but id like to quiet it down as well as make sure belt tension is good.
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Squeaking could be one of your idler pulleys. As for belt tension, I've always used the "twist test" - tighten the belt until you can twist it 90 degrees (no more and no less) with finger and thumb at the tension test point.

The first time I did any work involving removing and replacing the belt I asked my local independent 4x4 garage if they could check the tension using their proper gauge, and they said they didn't have one, they just used the twist test themselves.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.