'95 Grand Cherokee - changing spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '95 Grand Cherokee - changing spark plugs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
jeep95

'95 Grand Cherokee - changing spark plugs

Hi. I'm new to the jeep family and encountered a problem when I tried to change the spark plugs on the jeep. There are metal shields around each of the plugs and wire boot. They wouldn't come off easily and I ended up bending them and now can't get them back on. First, what is their purpose and next should I run the engine without them or replace them?

jeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
Rjwrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95
Hi. I'm new to the jeep family and encountered a problem when I tried to change the spark plugs on the jeep. There are metal shields around each of the plugs and wire boot. They wouldn't come off easily and I ended up bending them and now can't get them back on. First, what is their purpose and next should I run the engine without them or replace them?
My 98 Dodge had those on it. The only thing I could tell they did for sure was to hold lots of dirt and debris aroung the plug! I took them all off and never replaced them. There were no ill effects by doing so!

I should also mention that I switched wires to Accel 8.5 MM which are impervious to most engine harshes.
15x8 Rock Crawlers(Black)
Live to Wheel, Wheel to live!

Last edited by Rjwrangler; 03-11-2004 at 05:57 AM..
Rjwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

These are heat sheilds. They protect the wires from the exhaust manafold temperatures. They should not be permanently removed, because extend the life of the wires.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
lma1973

I just bought a 84 GC limuted V8. I want to change my plugs, but i too noticed the metal shields. Do they just pull off? Are they easy to put back on?
lma1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
BLU88
1993 ZJ 

I just did a tuneup on my 93 ZJ 5.2. The shields/sleeves (or sparkplug fouler?) got in the way but with right extension and sockets I changed them all. Try the cap and rotor!!
l_---l_l__l----( )jeep( )
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
BLU88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
lma1973

So you dont have to take them off? The spark plug wrench will fit in between them to get to the pluig? cool. What size plug wrench or socket does it take to get them out?

Thanks
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973
I just bought a 84 GC limuted V8.
You really have an 84 Grand huh? I'd LOVE to see that.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
lma1973

LOL...i got one of the prototypes...thats why **** is always breaking!!
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
BLU88
1993 ZJ 

I almost positive it was 5/8's. As far as extensions I used all of them including my wobble bars to get at each one. I also used the socket that looks like a differential( don't laugh i feel stupid enough cause i don't remember what its called.... ok laugh)
l_---l_l__l----( )jeep( )
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
BLU88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
lma1973

LOL...i know what you're talking about. Thanks for the info!
Unread 06-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
nbjly
1996 ZJ 

Wow - I didn't even think of taking them off, but I did pull the wires and then blow out all the crap that had fallen in them with an air compressor before removing the plugs. The shields didn't get in the way, actually helped line things up when installing the new plugs.
nbjly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #12
sgarlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbjly
The shields didn't get in the way, actually helped line things up when installing the new plugs.
Same here. Mine are still there, never thought of them as an inconvenience.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
jeepdude06

an easy way to bypass them is to take a small pair of pliers (such s needle nose) and grab ahold of the wires to pull them off, then to put plugs back in take a small piece of rubber tubing about 3 or 4 inches long that fits snugly on the top of the plug, get it started then finish it off with socket
jeepdude06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #14
PlatoHedron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude06
... then to put plugs back in take a small piece of rubber tubing about 3 or 4 inches long that fits snugly on the top of the plug, get it started then finish it off with socket
Dude - that is so MacGyver!

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Navy"]Live Aloha, Be Aloha, Embody Aloha ...[/COLOR][/B] And if you can't - fake it till you make it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]no money = no mods (however, willing to accept donations - inquire within)
[/SIZE]
PlatoHedron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
jeepdude06

i no, my 72 year old boss showed me it, it works a hell of a lot better, ive used it to replace the plugs in big V8 trucks where u have to manuever your hand around about 30 vaccum hoses, wires, and everything else
jeepdude06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.