95 grand 5.2 trans ?surging? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 grand 5.2 trans ?surging?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

95 grand 5.2 trans ?surging?

95 grand cherokee 8, 5.2L 4x4, new tune up, new fuel filter, regular injector clean additives, all new front end ties, breaks,
Auto trans oil and filter done about 1300 miles ago, adjust TV cable yesterday = that put an end to the random “clunking” during shift, and made the shifting way smooth.
Issue: at about 65+ mph under acceleration, feels like surging, as if gas is restricted, but RPMs stay steady, and acceleration from 0 or any other speed is strong. “Surging” like pumping the gas pedal, and steady rpms make me think transmission adjustment.

? Tighten bands
? Replace adjusting .. solenoid… ? Is there anything to replace during a filter change besides the filter and oil?

Everything I know about the automatic trans is; pull pan, make mess, change filter, add oil. Check oil level.

Unread 10-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

so I have been looking through the service manuel and answered part of my question, but I am not familiar with the automatic trans.
would it be just the band at 3rd/overdrive, or something else?

then I thought; some of these many sensors might be having some kind of effect on the shifting, Can a sensor cause 'pulsing' in the drivetrain?
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

"surging" what exactly do you mean by that?

rapid go/ release/ go/ release/ go/ feeling,

check the fluid level lately? yes, running in neutral is full.

what could it be? I don't know, thats why I am asking ......
Unread 10-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

you could try to adjust the throttle cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission. are you shure it is the trans. hows the motor running?
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
sergio
1995 ZJ 

I have the same problem In mine. Same year and engine. I've changed a lot of stuff on it and nothing. But trust me I know what you mean. It's annoying as hell. I hardly even drive it now cus of that. If you fix it please let me know!
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I had the same issue shortly after installing new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Routing the wires described in the TSB below fixed it:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
sergio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
I had the same issue shortly after installing new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Routing the wires described in the TSB below fixed it: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm
Did this really fix it???
Unread 10-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
throwinwrenches
1995 ZJ 

Check the tps sensor on throttle body . They can cause surging and shift issues.
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post

Did this really fix it???
No. I just thought I'd **** with ya.

Yes it fixed the random misfire CEL and surging at speeds above 45 MPH, which was most noticeable on the freeway for me.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me View Post
you could try to adjust the throttle cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission. are you shure it is the trans. hows the motor running?
that is the "TV cable", making that adjustment does help a wide range of issues.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
I have the same problem In mine. Same year and engine. I've changed a lot of stuff on it and nothing. But trust me I know what you mean. It's annoying as hell. I hardly even drive it now cus of that. If you fix it please let me know!
Did you also check or change out the TPS? and or make sure the plug wires are not touching anywhere?

I have not checked my TPS yet, (working on a s-10 starter issue taking too much time)

THis issue only just began, aka; tune up and new cat/muffler and test drive = all acceleration was good, then a few days later it began the "surging" ....
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
sergio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDifferent
Did you also check or change out the TPS? and or make sure the plug wires are not touching anywhere? I have not checked my TPS yet, (working on a s-10 starter issue taking too much time) THis issue only just began, aka; tune up and new cat/muffler and test drive = all acceleration was good, then a few days later it began the "surging" ....
I actually changed the TPS because it died on me but the plug wires are everywhere didn't think it would cause this problem.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
sergio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Did you also check or change out the TPS? and or make sure the plug wires are not touching anywhere? I have not checked my TPS yet, (working on a s-10 starter issue taking too much time) THis issue only just began, aka; tune up and new cat/muffler and test drive = all acceleration was good, then a few days later it began the "surging" ....
I changed the TPS because it died on me but the wires are everywhere I didn't think that would be the cause.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

changed out the TPS, made no change. accelerate from 0 to 60 is all good. cruising at 50 to 65 and then accelerate - automatic trans- feels like it is slipping and or jumping between gears... adjust a band?

or where to find details on how to analyze and adjust trans...
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
sergio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
changed out the TPS, made no change. accelerate from 0 to 60 is all good. cruising at 50 to 65 and then accelerate - automatic trans- feels like it is slipping and or jumping between gears... adjust a band? or where to find details on how to analyze and adjust trans...
Anything work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.