95 GC white smoke when take off after idling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 GC white smoke when take off after idling

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
jchambers224
1995 ZJ 

95 GC white smoke when take off after idling

We just got a 95 grand cherokee. It has 207,000 miles on it. It runs and drives good but if you stop and let it sit and idle and then take off again it smokes white smoke out the tailpipe for a bit. Any ideas?

jchambers224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Could just be condensation in the exhaust. Very common.
Could be carbon build up somewhere in the engine or exhaust.
Could be a failing head gasket.

Check your oil. Keep an eye on the coolant.
Clean out the throttle body and IAC.
SeaFoam through the throttle body.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

If its white smoke then its possible your burning oil keep a eye on your oil and you can pull your plugs and check them see if you have oil on any of them.if it smokes while idling pull your oil cap from the valve cover when it starts smoking if you have smoke coming out of the valve cover you could possibly have worn piston rings letting oil seep into the combustion chamber.wouldn't hurt to test compression for any valves that might need to be reseated or replaced either. haynes repair manual will have a chart showing what to look for when checking spark plugs
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

If the piston rings are worn, you'll get smoke all the time. Smoke that only appears at idle (and startup) is more likely to be valve stem seals.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
If the piston rings are worn, you'll get smoke all the time. Smoke that only appears at idle (and startup) is more likely to be valve stem seals.
Sounds right to me
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
jchambers224
1995 ZJ 

Any pointers on how to check or replace valve seals?
jchambers224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

As far as checking them goes, if you get smoke on startup and idle, but not during normal driving, then the seals are probably shot. The theory behind this (if you're interested) is that during idle, engine vacuum increases and if the seals are worn, oil can get sucked down past them into the cylinder.

There are two replacement options. You can do it with the head on, but you will need to stop the valves falling into the cylinder when you release the keepers, so you either pressurise the cylinder with compressed air through the spark plug hole, or fill the cylinder with nylon rope through the same hole. You might also find access a problem as you get further back towards the firewall, so you may need to pull the hood and cowl.

The other option is to pull the head and replace the seals on the bench. And if you've got the head off, you might want to consider a full valve job if the motor has 207k miles on it.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I had smoke at idle and used the nylon rope trick to replace my valves. The stems weren't worn enough to warrant replacing I checked the side to side wiggle with a dial indicator. Took about four hours using cheap valve spring compressor. But I did have to make a special tool to do the rear four valve since the firewall interfered. It's just a 1/4" thick piece of steel about 1" thick with a slot cut in one end to clear the valve tip and keeper, a curve so it touches the valve cover rail and valve retainer at the same time, and a hole so I can tighten down the rocker arm bolt and compress the valve. Did that four years and 50,000 miles ago and it still doesn't smoke.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #9
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I once had an injector stuck wide open on a 79 Cadillac Seville and it looked like a white fog machine running down the road. Replaced the injector and it stopped smoking. At first I thought I had obtained a tank full of diesel by accident.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.