95 5.2 testing TPS sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 5.2 testing TPS sensor?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
spikeystrip
1993 XJ Cherokee 

95 5.2 testing TPS sensor?

i suspect my TPS sensor has gone bad because my motor is running pretty rough out of no where. Does anyone know how to test this and what the readings are supposed to be? i couldnt find anything on this year motor or even close. im running out of time to fix this so any help would be appreciated. thanks dave

1995 Grand Cherokee
Stock Daily Driver
AWD 5.2 V8
spikeystrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

You have a PM sir
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
wfttalon
1999 WJ 

use a volt meter, put in on the sensor an open the throttle an see what it reads, if it drops at all anytime whens its open there is a dead spot.i believe it is a 5volt sensor.
wfttalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Maybe I should read closer . Sounds more like an Air Idle Control issue . Is it rough at just idle ?

The AIC can get carboned up pretty bad , causing it to stick . A good cleaning is all thats required in many cases . It's not the easiest to get at .

If you can , provide more details
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
j.love
1994 ZJ 

this is where a haynes or a FSM will do you wonders!

you have to back probe the sensor and get the readings.
the TPS adjusts the voltage that the computer sees.

clean your IAC like newfieZJ said!
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
spikeystrip
1993 XJ Cherokee 

no idle is fine. the motor bucks and hesitates when i hit a certain rpm or when i keep it at a steady rpm like on the highway. it will also buck and backfire when my tranny is about to shift. When i full throttle or accelerate moderately fast it will run like it should- no problems at all. only when i drive slow easy does it run like **** starting around 1700rpm. does that sound like TPS?
-also i checked my timing at idle and it is sporadic. the timing is all over the place
1995 Grand Cherokee
Stock Daily Driver
AWD 5.2 V8
spikeystrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
PlazJ
1994 ZJ 

To check the throttle position sensor, leave it's connector on. Take a volt meter, connect it's negative lead to "ground" some where on the manifold, block or a bracket. Put a pin, large needle, or heavey peice of wire into the center connector at the TPS so you will have a place to connect the positive meter lead. Maybe then end of your meter lead is long/thin enough to put directly into the center pin at the connector of the TPS. Be careful not to be too rough to avoid any damage to the connector or pin.

If all is well you should see some thing between .2 and .9 volts on the meter. You might have to move your makeshift pin around a bit to make a good connection to see the voltage. Now if you move the throttle open slowly it should go slowly up to 3.9-4.5 volts. It should smootly increase and decrease as you open/close the throttle. It you see it jump any time quickly or wildly, then its probably bad.

You say your trouble starts at 1700 rpm. Does it continue at rpms above that or does it smooth out again once you pass that rpm range. If it continues at higher rpms and the TPS checks ok, then it could be other problems like fuel starvation caused by... old fuel filter, bad plenum gasket (losing oil maybe a sign), worn distributor coil, worn fuel injectors, leaking fuel pressure regulator, busted catalytic converter partially blocked inside. Even transmission problems can case some performance issues. Is the tranny fluid level ok? Since you say the timing is all over the place, it might also be the crankshaft position sensor. And on an older Jeep (I'm guessing we're talking about your 1993?), it could be a combination of more than one of these things adding together. Also have you looked at this wire rerouting diagram. It made a difference in my 1994 Jeep.....

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98.htm
PlazJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.