95 5.2 ready for new transmission installation, advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 5.2 ready for new transmission installation, advice?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
jtrain3
1995 ZJ 

95 5.2 ready for new transmission installation, advice?

Long time reader but first time posting. So I recently bought a 95 grand Cherokee with the 5.2 (46rh tranny). I bought it knowing the transmission needed to be replaced. I was lucky to find a professionally rebuilt transmission with under 1000 miles on it (They rolled the jeep the same week). So right now my jeep is sitting with no transmission in it. I am ready to put the rebuilt one in but was wondering if there is anything I need to do first or during this process.

I am going to clean the trans cooler lines with carb cleaner and compressed air.

I have heard that balancing the drive shaft should be done is this correct?

Should I replace any sensors or anything? Any tips or comments are very much appreciated.

Also, I have a new torque converter already so I think I'll use that one instead of the refurnished one that came with the tranny.

Look forward to reading your responses. Thank you.

jtrain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you've got it figures out in your favor. If I didn't know the people that I'd got the trans from then I'd drop the pan and inspect. Even through it was just rebuilt. I'd have to make sure it has a new filter in it . See what setting in the bottom of the pan. And if not replace the filter I'd at least put new fluid in it. You really just never know .
.. I just had the trans replaced in my 95 Jeep ZJ .. After I got it home I was still having trouble with the trans .. So I dropped my pan for a look .. Yes it was clean But needed the gover sensor & trans ducer .
.. Good Luck.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
jtrain3
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I forgot to mention I am definitely going to pull the pan and look at it, new filter and fluid. How will I know if I need a new governor sensor? I read about that in another thread but can't find it. Will it throw a code on the OD light?
jtrain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

You dont,luckily the 46rh is not electronically controlled
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.