95 4.0l oil burner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 95 4.0l oil burner?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
95redgc

95 4.0l oil burner?

I just finially put an full exhaust on it from manifold back i put a dynomax system on it. the old system was full of holes. any ways. now i notice the smell of burning oil out the tail pipe. on start up from cold or hot it give a little puff of white/blue smoke. today i had it running and was at operating temp and i left it idling for 10 min and when i came out it looked like a 2 stroke running. i am currently at 2500 miles and i am a just about to the add line. any ideas on the issue here? its a 95 jeep grand cherokke 4.0l

95redgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Nearly a quart at 2500 miles isn't bad, unless at 2400 miles you were clear full!! How many miles/hours on the new exhaust?

Could be valves, rings, several others. Have you done a compression test? How many total miles on the engine?

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

check the PCV line from the valve cover to the air filter housing, there is a restriction in there to keep oil out of the intake, if the restriction breaks off it will suck oil from the valve cover into the air intake, and burn oil and smoke quite a bit. I know they sell the piece at napa, as i bought one for my old XJ
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
95redgc

162k miles on it and the hose that runs to the air filter broke and i just have it hooked up as a draft tube now. prolly got 300 miles on new exhaust system. i wanna do a comp and leak down on it but done have the tools gonna prolly have to buy a kit.
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
95redgc

i am also running rottela 15w40 oil along with motorcraft fl1a filter
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
easterfudge

Mine does the same thing. 223,000 miles. I just replaced my crankcase vent orifice and cleaned all the piping. If it sits and idles it starts to puff it out. Don't have to worry about mosquitos in the yard w/ it running, that's for sure. I just figure it's old worn out rings. I paid less than $800 for the thing so if I have to put another engine in it, oh well.
easterfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
95redgc

can you pull the pistons with the motor still in the vehicle? cause i have thought about doing a rebuild on it the body is in great shap just starting to consuming a little too much oil for my likings.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.