'95 4.0 Lifter Clatter and misfire - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-11-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
SK_ZJ
1995 ZJ 

'95 4.0 Lifter Clatter and misfire

Hey so this problem started the other day. I noticed it after changing plugs to Champions, next day I had a misfire at a red light, I changed to new plug wires and it solved it self. Jump to 2 weeks later it started misfiring again but now there is a noise in the top end at low RPM and when its underload as well. I can only describe it as a lifter chatter or clatter.

I just changed the oil to see if there were any metallic pieces and they're weren't any. The exhaust manifold does have a pretty good leak and I've been driving it with the leak for about 8,000Km. I recently had a leak further down in the exhaust fixed, would the added back pressure cause an exhaust valve to burn out?

Here's a video

https://youtu.be/_EXH3BYmpEw
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-11-2016, 08:03 PM
puubear98
1998 ZJ 

I would start with some basics. Cap & rotor, compression test, etc. I can't imagine how fixing an exhaust leak or changing pligs could cause the problem unless a plug us bad, not tight, or misgapped.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 20 Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I have had two new Champions be bad on me. I stayed away from them for years before I was convinced to give them another chance due to the consensus that they were good for the ZJ. I'd pull those plugs and check they're condition, looking out for at least one that looks different, as in too clean perhaps.

Have you checked the codes to see if any are stored for a misfire? It doesn't always show up in a CEL right away. Good luck.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Pugulis
2001 WJ 

Do you still have the old plugs? I'd try putting them back in and see if anything changes. Also, make sure they're all seated properly. My brother thought he had a misfire in his Wrangler, when he checked the plugs, one was almost completely out. And make sure they're gapped properly.

[_][]☺[][][]☺[][_] RIP to my 96' Grand Cherokee Laredo 344,700 miles and welcome to my new 2001 WJ
post #5 of 20 Old 07-11-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
SK_ZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies everyone. After watching a couple videos of loose spark plugs I think one is the culprit. I'll pull them tomorrow and check it out, anyone know the torque spec? I still have the NGKs that I pulled out only had 4K on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
Have you checked the codes to see if any are stored for a misfire? It doesn't always show up in a CEL right away. Good luck.
How does one go about this on a car without a OBD port? I've never tried on anything older than 96.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK_ZJ View Post

How does one go about this on a car without a OBD port? I've never tried on anything older than 96.
Do a forum search on "the key trick". That should get your question answered. You're supposed to count a flashing light on the dash, and then look up the associated code. Good luck.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
SK_ZJ
1995 ZJ 

Bit of an update. Put the old plugs in gapped at .035. Didn't do the noise at first start up, shut it down and started it again, then the noise came back. I pulled the valve cover off for rocker adjustment but after reading on here you can't really set anything. So then I pulled the exhaust manifold off, and ordered a new one. Going to put new 703 injectors in as well, hopefully this clears some things up if not I'll use some sea foam to try to clear the clatter up.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 AM
ax1598ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Careful with Seafoam, I used that on my old 93, and that thing started burning oil like a mother afterwards.

And I believe it is not the best for cat converters either.

1998 green ZJ 4.0L, ax15 trans and a vengeful PCM, 4.5" lift 33x10.5
post #9 of 20 Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

On my 93 I spent a lot of time trying to track down a persistent idle misfire that turned out to be the coil. The primary and secondary resistance checked good but it was the issue.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Valvetrain clatter at idle is just the way 4.0Ls roll. As long as it goes away as revs increase, it's really not anything to worry about.

When I had my head off to get a valve job done, I took the opportunity to replace the lifters, thinking that would quieten things down. It didn't.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Maybe gummed injectors or carbon on the valves.

What kind of fuel do you use? If you run the 10% ethanol with no treatment all the time it will eventually complain about it in one way or another. Poor mileage, random misfires, valve chatter.

If you can find fuel with no ethanol, run a tank plus some Lucas fuel system cleaner through it. I guarantee you'll notice a difference for that tank. If you're symptoms persist, repeat.

I was having random misfire codes and the above process cured it... for now

And as others have said, the noise you hear at cold startup is normal for a high mileage I6. Mine sounds like an un-orchestrated Mariachi band until the oil warms up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-16-2016, 05:36 PM
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

And as others have said, the noise you hear at cold startup is normal for a high mileage I6. Mine sounds like an un-orchestrated Mariachi band until the oil warms up.
Same here, after rebuild I switched to Purple Power synthetic and a good filter. Also upgraded all ignition stuff to MSD or Accel. Still sounds like 2 spark plugs aren't firing until it warms up. The 4 pin fuel injectors made it sound smoother after it's warmed up though. I also put midgrade gas in every few fills

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 "ATJT"
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "Darth Jeep"
post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
SK_ZJ
1995 ZJ 

The chatter doesn't go away when revved. It gets louder, did you guys not watch the video? The intake ports on the manifold were very gummed up with carbon, after I put it all back together I'll give it a good sea foam or that mopar cleaner I keep hearing about.

I think the biggest problem with this truck is the neglect from the past owners, I am slowly getting it back to working order and running decently then this issue comes up. Also I ended up just getting the header welded and am going to do just a quick clean and new seals on the injectors. Trying to save some cash.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2016, 02:28 AM
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

Can you make a video after it's been running for 15 minutes?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 "ATJT"
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "Darth Jeep"
post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

You might want to check out this video. The guy has what he thinks is a valve-train tick, but ends up being from something deeper. It includes a way to test to see if it's valve-train/cam or engine-speed/crank by using a timing light. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.